Weaning off pain relief!?

• 67 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi all

I can’t believe I’m saying it, but thank goodness I’m 2 months post end of treatment, yahoo!!

I won’t go over how tough it’s been, I know you all know, blimey we’re a tough lot!!

However, I’m now at a stage where now I’m feeling a little better, I’d like to be able to drive again……it’s rather lonely living alone, and all the visitors have dwindled off.  I’m currently taking 10mg of slow release ‘Oxycodone’ both morning and night ie 20mg in total a day.  I reduced this with the agreement of my team on Saturday, from 30mg a day.  The nurse suggested I go with 20mg for a week and see how get on, then reduce to maybe 15mg for a week and so on.    Has anyone else gone through this, how long did it take to come off the ‘controlled’ meds……I’m so very desperate to drive again

Deborah x

• Hi Deborah 

I was on long acting morphine morning and evening and four or five doses of short acting oromorph in the day.

I knew what would happen but I just stopped. I lasted four hours. 

So....I stopped the the night time dose and halved the amount of oramorph for. week. Then I stopped the morning long acting dose and halved the oramorph yet again for a week. Then halved again and that was it. Three weeks

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Oh and well done on getting through. You sound pretty chipper!

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Ooh that is good to hear, thanks Dani Thumbsup tone1

I’m doing ok, bit low now and again but only to be expected until the scan result.  Your blog helped a lot!!  I’d much rather be for armed……got a bit hairy at times, couple of hospital admissions anScreamnose feed for 8 weeks.  Worst was the mucus, absolutely nothing prepares you, nor can it.

• come off very very slowly... I had to take meds for withdrawal symptoms... not fun, and the last thing you need after all you've been through..

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Absolutely, thanks Loz Thumbsup tone1

• Halving the dose weekly till it’s negligible should do it but if in doubt check with your GP. 

nose feed for 8 weeks.  Worst was the mucus, absolutely nothing prepares you, nor can it.

Yes my tube was in for 8 weeks. 
    I had a few meltdowns in despair at how I couldn’t do anything about the relentlessness of it all. But the human body and mind are amazing. It all becomes a memory very quickly and soon not even that. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Yes, I’m struggling with fatigue at the moment, felt like I had much more energy a couple of weeks ago?  Though eating enough is proving difficult, I’ll get there Blush

• Hi Deborah Well done in getting to the 8 weeks post treatment. Slow withdrawal of the opiates is the only way to go. But you are going the right way I was on cocodomol and gradually weaned from 30 mg to 15 mg the 8 mg ending up,on paracetamol only. 
    As for the fatigue radiation n fatigue can’t be fought best advise I can give is listen to your body don’t fight it. I became the queen if the 20 minute Power Nap several times a day. Plus maintain sufficient nutrition and hydration that helps you recover. My dietician told me for my size 12 height 5 foot was 2500 calories each and every day which I did for 15 months then the weight started to come back so the cream cakes had to go .now there’s very little I can’t eat mostly spicy food for me 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Deborah

I was on slow release morphine (2x daily) and Oramorph (as needed)....came off over 3-4 weeks.... a bit iffy to start with bit no real problems.

Well done and good luck

Peter

• Hi Deborah

My eating and appetite are still improving 1 year+ after ChemoRadio.....takes a wee while ...trial and error with food....Chicken was tasteless until recently....my wife made roast chicken with stuffing last weekend....and I could finally taste and enjoy it....

Peter