Appetite AWOL

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi everyone. Apologies if this post is a duplicate. We’re in iffy internet reception.

I'm 6 months post treatment today. Progress is going well. My issue atm is appetite return. I have no issues with taste or eating and can eat most things. I’m off meat and chicken but enjoy veggie patties .  Fries and bread are a no go but I tried sweet potato mash last night and it was a winner. So big thank you to whoever suggested it .

Fruit especially strawberries are so tart and the suggestion to eat it with honey yoghurt is grand. Thank you.

I'm eating way too much sugar to make my food palatable and would like a healthy alternative. I’ve not spoken to Connie my dietitian  yet .  I’m off Ensure (happy dance) and drinking Huel protein shakes.  My stomach appreciates the change too. 

It’s the missing appetite that I’d love returned .  Can you shed some light on this please? Many thanks , Desiree 

• Hi DesRoss, you seem to be doing alright really eating lots of different things. You could try using Canderel as a sweetener, if you are having too much sugar. Your appetite will come back, with time. Hang in there you're doing ok.

Ray. 

• I’ll give canderell a try. I have it with my coffee but not thought of using it other ways. Thank you 

• Hi Des

My appetite did take a while to return, just over a year now since finishing treatment and more looking forward to meals as each week progresses....Scrambled egg roll for breakfast, try to go out for lunch 3 times a week, curries/pizzas now back on the menu....enjoy oatmeal cookies/Hobnobs and a cup of tea at night....not quite the range of food I used to enjoy but things are definitely improving.

Peter

• Thanks Peter. I have hard boiled eggs and short bread to snacks on. Oat cookies are good too. Just need to wash them down. I tried  marmite roll yesterday. It was ok. Needed less marmite and more butter. So much fine tuning. 

• Hi Desire

I have tried to cut down on sugar by choosing as many sugar free or low sugar options as possible such as Yoghurt with no sugar or make my own custard sweetened with stevia rather than sugar. There are quite a lot of foods made for diabetics now that have sugar substitutes that I look out for. I don't add sugar to anything as I find things like tinned fruit in juice rather than  syrup is quite sweet already.

You could try making your own soups so that it avoids all the things they add into tinned or packet soup like extra salt. I have a book on soups and have made quite a few from there that are tasty. I sometimes add natural yoghurt to the soup and it gives it a bit more of a kick in the taste department.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thank you Sophie, that is most helpful. I’ve not tried tinned fruit yet. Regular fruit is often tart.  I’ll get some stevia as well. I’ll look out for soup recipes because I’m not keen on packet soups.  Months ago I tried certain foods and I wasn’t impressed. I keep reminding myself things have changed and I’ve moved on . Had quiche and Moroccan couscous for dinner but didn’t eat the quiche crust .  Doesn’t appeal yet .  Thank you so much