PET scan results

• 6 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi All. My husband now has a date fur his PET scan for the 12th July, which will be 13 weeks post treatment. They have told us we won’t get the results until the end of August and now have an appointment for the 22nd August. This feels like a long time especially as they expect to him a neck dissection as he still has a lump. Is this usual? 

• This feels like a long time especially as they expect to him a neck dissection as he still has a lump. Is this usual? 

It is a long time but the NHS now has backlogs and this is how it’s going to be. It’s not good. I suggest you wait two weeks after the PET then ring every few days to see if you can be seen earlier. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Thatsx a long time pet ct scans are or were usually available much quicker than that.  Mine was 4 days and I got results after mdt 10 days later. I wonder if consultants away ? Can you contact his cns to ask if any one else can give him his results maybe his registrar. Ok the scans have to be discussed s mine was at mdt.
    just remember 13 weeks quite early as well  my pet ct was week 18 I understand re his lump still being prominent. Sorry I can’t give you the answer you’re wanting but I would contact his cns as Dani says 2 weeks after scan. Unfortunately the NHS is overstretched it’s not good or the patient or family. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Worrylo

I was scanned in mid September 2023...results in same month....email your CNS asking for results as early as possible?

Peter

• That does feel like a long wait.  I had one PET scan where I waited 5 weeks for the results.  It was such a stress.  My last (this April) I had exactly one week before I got the results.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks so much for all your replies. I will make sure I chase our nurse regularly. We have received a letter today from the dr we saw last week. It highlights that his neck lump is 4cm and will probably need further treatment. 

• We have received a letter today from the dr we saw last week. It highlights that his neck lump is 4cm and will probably need further treatment. 

That’s a shame. It will be surgery I guess. Keep us in the loop and good luck xx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge