7 weeks post radiotherapy

• 12 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi guys thought I’d pop in for an update.   I’ve still got a sore throat but it’s getting better slowly. I can eat most things now that’s not dry and not bread. And a dry mouth at night got some spray that’s peppermint flavour that helps. Throats a bit phlegmy.  Had six week review with consultants told me I’m doing well.  So I went to Crete for a week 

• Excellent news.  Glad you managed to get away.  That dry mouth is a killer at night!  I found a quick session with a nebuliser once a day helped clear my throat.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Well done you are doing so well, so soon after your treatment finishing. It's great you were able to get away.

Ray.

• That's great - you're doing well! How lovely to get away to Greece

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

•  So I went to Crete for a week 

Brill. It’s a place I’ve always wanted to visit. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hey. Sorry to jump on this thread but wanted to say I’m 6 weeks post treatment and finding the dry mouth at night my biggest issue at the moment. 

I use biotene gel going to bed, but usually wake up around 4-5 hours later with a really really dry mouth and throat that makes it super painful to swallow. 

I’ve ordered a humidifier today as that seemed to be something that’s worked for other - but interested to know more about the spray you mention and anyone else’s ideas of solutions?

• Great news Paul

Stick with it & enjoy the good bits (holiday as well !!!)

Good work

• Hiya!

I am 20 months post treatment. Dry mouth is still an issue. I have a humidifier in my office and in my bedroom. Found them very useful and love the different scents. Lavender is one of my favourites.  I also have half a teaspoon of coconut oil before going to bed. On days when my mouth is particularly dry, I also have coconut oil before food and leave it in my mouth for about 10 minutes. When I went to France a few months ago I found a fantastic mouth spray : Artisial. I have not been able to find the equivalent in the UK so far but just in case anybody happens to be on the other side of the Channel...

Have a wonderful day. 

Fab1

• Hi  am 6 years and still use half a xyimelt every night to alleviate dry mouth. I did have auricular acupuncture when my treatment finished my trust didn’t offer it so I paid privately it was money  well spent as it did help kickstart my saliva. Now in the daytime I rarely need water but at night I always have a glass with me. It’s a marathon nit a sprint but it does improve with time. The xyimelts we have to pay for as not a prescription item. The small spray bottle with plain water or with glycerine in does work as well the aim is to moisten your mouth rate than constantly drinking which washes saliva a away saying that you still need 2-3 litres of liquid daily in the early years

i also always/have sugar were gum abpvailabke make sure it has xyitol in it that also helps stimulate our saliva into action.

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Thank you. I actually ordered a trial pack of xylimelts from Amazon at same time as ordering a humidifier, so will see how that goes. 

I had to stop chewing xylitol gum for a while as I had bad oral thrush and is was like chewing acid! Still have the thrush but it’s not as bad and am on longish course of foucanzole to hopefully get rid. 

• Hi I too had long lasting oral thrush eventually the Flucozole did get rid of it. If the xyimelts don’t help at first, keep trying. I used to moisten my mouth first then pop one in on my top gum between gum and cheek. 

when thrush goes try the gum again I use orbit sugar free in blue tub 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help