Mucosectomy

• 7 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi,

Just looking for a little info on the procedure I am having next week. Mucosectomy or removal of the top layer of tongue as I understand it. I was just wondering what the discomfort / pain levels are following this type of surgery.  After recently have a tonsillectomy and been very aware of the pain levels involved  eating and drinking I was wondering if I would be in similar situation  after this surgery.?

Any info would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

• Mucosectomy is the name for the procedure you describe. Others here report it’s painful but you get painkillers for it.   Is our resident expert. Perhaps he’ll respond. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Paul 

I was diagnosed last May with Squamous Cell Carcinoma to head and neck with unknown primary site.  Right level II cervical nodes level 2-4 HPV+.    T0 N2 M0.  6 weeks radiotherapy and only managed 3 out of chemo as pretty nauseous with it and lost too much weight.  Radio was to both sides of neck as no primary found.

Surgery was a bilateral tongue base mucosectomy and a billateral tonsilectomy so had this all done at the same time. So not sure what pain levels were one without the other. With a right neck dissection level 2-4.  Meaning they took out all the lymph nodes in the upper jugular area and lower jugular area were removed.  Finished treatment October 2023.

I drank copious amounts of iced water.   Eating soft and cold foods helped in this time smoothies, rice pudding etc.  Mint tea and sage tea were my go to drinks.  Keep your mouth as clean as possible, gargling and cleaning teeth, even though Duraphat toothpaste still makes me heave.  Neck dissection looks horrendous but trust the process, I can hardly see my scar now.  I only needed paracetemol and codeine but take all the meds they can give you and don’t chase the pain.

First PET scan in February was still showing a hot spot on the right side.  Had the results of my second PET scan yesterday, that was an all clear.

Hope all goes well for you and if I can manage it anyone can.

Regards  

Lesley

:

• Hi Lesley,

Thanks for your reply.  Its really appreciated Pleased your on the mend now. My story sounds very similar to yours. Its good to get an honest opinion from those who have gone through what I have to come.

Thanks again

Paul

• Hi Dani,

You are correct. It is a Mucosectomy I will be having not a Glossectomy.  Must listen better to the consultant. Good job we have people like yourself to assist. Thankyou

Regards

Paul

• Hi Paul

I had base of tongue removed after having my tonsils removed. Keep up with the pain meds, that’s the most important  advise I can give you, I got burning tongue syndrome, but it passed after a few month. I had 25 nodes removed in my neck dissection and you can hardly see the scar now. 

• I can't really be called the resident expert as my partial glossectomy was abandoned half way through.  They have opened up my tongue on many occasions looking for tumours.  All I can say is compared with tonsillectomy pain nothing has come close in surgery or radiotherapy!

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Sorry peter. I thought you had a mucosectomy. Thank you for correcting me 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge