Infection

• 6 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing OK. I've gotten some really good support here while my partner went through a partial gloss, free flap from arm and neck dissection (and then radiotherapy).

Just want to start off by saying I wouldn't have believed how much things have changed since a few months ago, he can now eat most things! You were all right! Thank you.

However he is currently quite unwell with a bad stomach and feeling generally run down. He is very frightened that the cancer has spread or come back (he was T3 N0 M0). 

Went to see surgeon as he was worried about a lump in base of mouth, surgeon thinks it is an infection in his saliva gland. Two rounds of antibiotics later, he is still feeling rubbish and the antibiotics did a number on his stomach.

Now booked in to have an MRI. Surgeon says he can't see or feel anything alarming now, but booked him an MRI when partner said how ill he is feeling.

I know really there is nothing to do but wait for the results, but just wondering if anyone else had any experience with infections after treatment etc.

Thank you.

Jo

• Hi Jo. Good news his Recovery is improving. Can’t really  comment with infections I’ve only had one in mouth that was self inflicted I pushed too hard with an interdental brush. Was over in Spain where I got antibiotics along with some probiotic tablets that they give over here. Maybe we should try the probiotic yoghurts when in antibiotics worth thinking about. Glad the consultatntd being pro active with mei fingers x there’s nothing there. 

keep us in loop

Hugs  Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Jo

Sorry to hear that your husband is feeling unwell at the moment. Antibiotics can be great but if you are allergic to a particular one can make you feel worse.

I had an infection after my first maxillectomy and my face blew up like a balloon on the side where I had the op, not a pretty sight. I was lucky as the antibiotic I was given did the trick and I have not had any trouble since.

It is great that your husband's surgeon is proactive as the MRI should show anything up but fingers crossed it is nothing. Always best to get these things checked out although the waiting for results can be nerve wracking.

Best wishes

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hello everyone

Good news! The MRI was clear. We went to see his surgeon who basically said due to treatment his saliva gland has been a bit battered and he may get infections every now and then. He recommended massage to help keep things moving.

He will be having another op (outpatient) in May to connect his flap to the tip of his tongue and maybe do some debulking.

Thanks all

Jo 

• Thanks Jo. It’s a worry isn’t it? So pleased the news is good. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Jo great news now breath snd relax a while. 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help