My luck has finally run out

• 29 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Sorry to share bad news on what is such a helpful and positive forum, but, after 4 successful lots of cancer treatment in the last 10 years, it seems that the fifth is likely to be my last. I’ve been told by my wonderful ENT surgeon that my latest tumour is on the base of my tongue, close to my larynx, so the surgery would be radical and life changing. I’ve been through so much in the last 10 years - neck dissection, chemo-radiotherapy, lung resection, surgery on my tongue and then on my throat - that I really can’t face any more. They admitted that it might not even get rid of the cancer anyway. So, the choices put before me were: do nothing and maybe live for six months; further tests to see if I’m ok to have immunotherapy; have chemo. After some discussion we decided to try the immunotherapy route and, good news, I’m suitable. It won’t cure me but may give me more time, possibly up to two years. I have to admit that over the past 10 years, in the darkest times, I’ve had those conversations in my head about dying, but then it was just a theory, now it’s actually going to happen. I can’t believe it’s real, that this is what it’s come to, and I have to come to terms with it. It’s not even like I’m old, I’m 67, still so much living to do! I’ve got a great medical team, lovely family but they’re also suffering, and I start immunotherapy on Tuesday. Hoping that I respond well and have minimal side effects. 

• Oh I am so sorry to hear your news, you are too young for all of this, cancer is so unfair. I'm the same age as you and yes, we do have these conversations in our head at times and that's hard enough. I hope and pray that this works for you and that you defy the odds and have much, much longer to go yet. Enjoy your grandchild. Best wishes. xxx

• I’m on Pembrolizumab. Don’t know if that’s the one that’s usually used for H& N cancers. 
    I’m trying to think positive because my first grandchild was born this morning, in the USA. I’m sure you can imagine how happy, and yet how sad, I’m feeling right now. 

Yes it is...With a little bit of the luck that hasn't;t run out yet you'll get to see your new grandchild. Hugs

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you. It’s good to know that friends on here understand what it’s like. X

• So sorry to hear this.Fingers crossed for the immunotherapy having few side effects and giving you some good times ahead.

• Very sorry to hear about this. Wishing you the very best with the immunotherapy! 

Mike 

• Hi Peach Flamingo So sorry to read this but try and think positive. My Oncologist told me to try and forget about the cancer . I thought to myself that's easy for you to say you're not the one with the cancer . I hope everything works out for the best Regards Minmax

• Hi Hazel, in regards to your friend how is he doing? My mum has been diagnosed with incurable lung mets from mouth cancer and isn’t able to have surgery. Is he going to have years left? I’m looking for some sort of similar story to try and see how long i have left with my beautiful mum x

• Hi Ash. He’s completed 2 years immunotherapy last November his  last 2 scans have shown his lungs mets have responded to treatment snd is at the moment showing no evidence of disease. He as a scans every 3 months he’s living his life in January he completed a 168 mile run. He was an ultra runner before snd his doing it again . He gets jittery s few days before his next scan but isn’t letting it define him. He’s classed as in remission snd like he says he always   will be l.

hope your mum gets a good response 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• So sorry to read this. Stay strong and as positive as you can, the immunotherapy sounds good. Life is so tough at times worry you are going through this.