Annual Thyroid blood tests

• 39 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi All. Just a timely reminder us who have had radiotherapy will need thyroid blood tests yearly I also have cholesterol checked at same time.
. Mines today I have a yearly reminder on my phone. Do thought idea opportunity to remind all of us. Onwards and upwards, where’ve you are in treatment.

hugs 

Hazel 

• . Does anyone on here know whether he ought to be referred?

No. His HNC clinic will refer him to his GP. It’s a primary care issue now. 

Hazel, I never kept my consent form but I know you keep everything. Have a look whether thyroid issues are mentioned in the side effects would you? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • He has never been offered a regular thyroid test after surgery and radiotherapy

Most of us arrange this ourselves 

I have never been offered blood tests of any kind at my reviews. All I’ve had is a neck poke about a visual mouth check and a scope 

Macmillan mention it here under “tiredness” 

www.macmillan.org.uk/.../late-effects-of-head-and-neck-cancer-treatments

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I am a bit concerned about other symptoms he is developing - such as sore throat - but don't want to worry him

If your husband has a sore throat lasting more than three weeks he should definitely go back to be checked out. He is a long time clear so it’s likely nothing but you know it makes sense to put your minds at rest 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Sorry, Hazel, for multi posts. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • HunNi worries I’ve just dug about my consent form will scan it and send to you .thing is it’s 5 year old carbon copy feint. But Jihn also remembers Dr Sen verbally saying it. Plus when I was sent to Pinderfields for ent consultants very De ember I was told to go down to phlebotomist with a pink slip and a few days later Lisa my Macmillan nurse rang with results. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• So it’s a significant risk that is pointed out on our consent forms. They are pretty standard. 
    Thanks 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Alichapp Different trusts have differing policies. Ive  just dug out my consent form and it does say under significant issues thyroid. I was transferred back to local hospital and every  December  was referred  for bloods. Sadly we have to be proactive I’ve found this I remember year 2  I was taken off the cancer referrals by the bean counters I soon kicked up a fuss. My consultant wasn’t aware so I got others out. Back on. Once throws tablets are given and the dosage correct everyone I know is ok 

As for sore throat the rule of thumb still applies if he’s had it 3 weeks see gp,likewise ulcers lasting longer than 3 weeks unexplained weight loss, lumps in neck..

hope all turns out ok

hugs Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Thanks Hazel - we were vaguely aware that thyroid issues were a risk, but blood tests were never suggested, and the GP had never heard of thyroid issues as a side effect of radiotherapy to neck (Bizarre but true). He checked on line when we suggested it as a causal factor, and decided there might be something in it.

He's on the tablets now, but with no follow up tests to see if they have got the balance right - has tried to book a cholesterol test but the GP practice isn't able to offer them at the moment. It is crazy. 

• That’s crazy re cholesterol tests ,I had mine on Tuesday no issues. From me sorry my friends whi are in the tablets had a review atb3 months as it takes time to get the tablets into our system. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz