Oropharyngeal cancer

• 3 replies
  • 33 subscribers

My partner has good days but more bad days. He has his 12 week scan in 2 weeks time. He had a good day today until sitting on the sofa l saw him feeling his neck where the lump was removed. My blood ran cold, he says he can feel another lump and it's sore. He was starting to feel more positive now he said he feels like he did when the doctor told him it was cancer. 

• I was really worried by a lump under my chin, 8 months after finishing treatment. On ultrasound it turned out to be just a saliva gland affected by radiotherapy. I hope your husband's turns out to be nothing to worry about too.

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Hi ValH

I am two years post operative

I still have a couple of lumps where I had my neck dissection, sometimes it’s just fluid. Underneath my chin I occasionally get a cramp like pain and I can feel a large hard lump, I was worried but my scan was clear and my consultant said it was scar tissue. I can understand him being worried because I was, but it was fine. Hopefully your husband will be fine too x 

• Hi ValH, hopefully it is nothing to worry about, recovery can be a worrying time, you are forever thinking has it gone. If you give his team a ring, and tell them how worried you are, they might be able to see him within a few days.

Ray