Last Update (21/05) - Ho Hum, Seconds out - Round 4!

• 191 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Well, just shy of 4 years since diagnosis and I'm once again on the operating table.  This is becoming an annual event.  However this time it looks 80-90% like a tumour.  A week to wait for the panendoscopy and then a couple of weeks for the histology and MDT.  My neck has been feeling "different" (not painful or anything concerning) for a month.  Routine check-up and not looking good.  Offered a PET scan but I've opted for biopsy to confirm then scans to see the extent.  Early days, but as it is in a similar location to a previous round (2) I will probably opt for surgery as before and hope for clear margins avoiding RT once again.  Somehow I don't think this one will disappear before the main surgery like the last one did.

As ever - updated text in the thread below.

• Hi Peter.  You are being so calm and practical.  I am sending you all my very best wishes. Thankyou for writing about what’s happening. Lizzie x

• Sorry you did not get the best of news yesterday and all I can say is best wishes.   

• Sorry you got the bad news yesterday, but lets hope this time they get the thing before it goes back into hiding.  Whatever treatment they decide on we have to go with as they are the experts, as Hazel says plenty of experience on the site to help you through.  But understand that feeling 'do i really have to go through this again'.  Best of luck and keep positive.

Mo

• I've got to say that my hospital is totally amazing - and not just this time around!  I had "the conversation" yesterday late afternoon and this morning the various departments were on the phone booking me in for scans and dental checks working their best to meet my personal calendar as well as the clinical priorities.  Everything is next week and I anticipate the MDT at the tertiary hospital on the 5th December - and that delay is only because I am away the previous week.  I know not everybody has positive experiences, but at the moment the NHS rocks Smile!

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • I've got to say that my hospital is totally amazing - and not just this time around!  I had "the conversation" yesterday late afternoon and this morning the various departments were on the phone booking me in for scans and dental checks working their best to meet my personal calendar as well as the clinical priorities. 

How on earth do you do that, Peter? 
    I have patients waiting weeks for diagnostic scans only for appointments to be changed at the last minute, treatment delays beyond cruelty and no communication with support staff. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi I was lucky I was pre covid  and everything worked  like clockwork. Dental check day after diagnosis mri ct  and pet within weeks. Nowadays like Dani I’ve people waiting for scans cancelled biopsies and no dieticians and that’s not all up north  the southern coast as well. What’s the secret ! Peter 

Hazel  

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Really sorry to hear that Peter… thinking of you and sending just positive vibes Hugging 

marta x

• I think it is mainly down to communication.  I do believe it is how you engage with the staff in a hospital that makes them want to go the extra mile or just put you on the pile.  I am lucky in-so-much that having worked in the NHS I know the system and how to make sure it delivers what it should, but rarely do I have to use that knowledge.  For example if I know I can't make a specific date then I will let my consultant know or ring the booking clerk before they make an appointment and discuss.  That way they don't waste their time; or mine.  NHS staff genuinely want to help and will do if we make their life just a little bit easier.

I also won't stand for any nonsense.  For example if my clinic letter or discharge summary says follow up in a certain time frame then if I have not heard I will chase it.  I am also not scared to go to PALS if the "system" has let me down (only once and not my local hospital).  Without raising, at least, a "concern" (not always a complaint) then the system will continue to fail other patients as it knows no better.

Peter
  • A week of scans and reviews over and done with.  CT on Tuesday, dental on Thursday and MRI yesterday on Sunday.  Hopefully I get all the results on the afternoon of 5th after the MDT meeting that morning.

The good news is that I get to keep all my teeth if I go on to radiotherapy.

The not so good is that the CT contrast left me absolutely shattered for 24 hours and I was in the  MRI for 70 minutes!  I was trying not to fall asleep and the scan was so long that the music ran out just as I received contrast - and I was counting the tracks to helped me judge the passing of time.

Peter
  • Good luck for next week. I kept all my teeth too which was a blessing 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge