Speech challenges following surgery

• 1 reply
  • 32 subscribers

Hi all

i had surgery mid July to remove all my tonsils, tongue base mucosectomy and neck dissection. I have not needed CRT. 

there is a lot of scar tissue at the back of my throat and my speech is quite impacted - very quiet, no volume and I struggle with some sounds. My job requires public speaking. 

I also feel that air movement when mouth breathing is very restricted and I’m finding strenuous exercise quite challenging as I don’t feel I can get enough air. Sometimes I get a bit panicky that I can’t breathe. I still seem to have a lot of mucus that feels like it’s blocking everything up. 

My whole mechanics of breathing, sneezing and coughing seems to have changed  

my surgeon has implied this is my new normal and I am getting very upset about it. 

Has anyone had this experience?

• my surgeon has implied this is my new normal and I am getting very upset about it

Hi Woodz. I would put this aside 

Your surgery is pretty recent. My advice would be to work in your exercises religiously, don’t push too hard 

My base of tongue cancer wasn’t lateralised so I had RT to both sides. This has drastically destroyed the back of my tongue, a picture that my oncologist seemed to delight in showing me at every review. My discharge letter says he is surprised that my swallow function is ok. 
    It’s not just ok but good. I’ve worked at it. 
    Gently gently and don’t expect miracles overnight. You will surprise yourself ( and your surgeon) at how well you do given time. 
    Hugs 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge