Last Update (21/05) - Ho Hum, Seconds out - Round 4!

• 191 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Well, just shy of 4 years since diagnosis and I'm once again on the operating table.  This is becoming an annual event.  However this time it looks 80-90% like a tumour.  A week to wait for the panendoscopy and then a couple of weeks for the histology and MDT.  My neck has been feeling "different" (not painful or anything concerning) for a month.  Routine check-up and not looking good.  Offered a PET scan but I've opted for biopsy to confirm then scans to see the extent.  Early days, but as it is in a similar location to a previous round (2) I will probably opt for surgery as before and hope for clear margins avoiding RT once again.  Somehow I don't think this one will disappear before the main surgery like the last one did.

As ever - updated text in the thread below.

• Surgery was yesterday afternoon and I was down for around 90 minutes.  Home later that evening.  Recovering well as the pain is not too bad this time around (fourth panendoscopy and biopsy now.  Forum expert!)

That's the good news.  The lump was a tumour.  It is in a very similar place to the 2021 tumour that then disappeared.  I'm expecting the histology to confirm SCC HPV+.  I should find out either next week or the following week, but the look on my consultant's face when we chatted after the operation said it all.

So results, then scans then decide on my options for treatment.

I actually feel quite happy about all this - just like the last time it made a reappearance.  I know that is difficult for many to fathom, but living with uncertainty is difficult and puts yet another strain on life.  This time the cancer had better not just vanish before effective treatment!

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Oh Peter at least there is something for your team to work on rather than chasing shadows. Sorry you’re joining the likely CRT club. Hugs 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I'm hoping  it is small and contained and a partial glossectomy will give good margins and I can leave radiotherapy for another time.  Too early to make that decision right now

Peter
  • Of course. I didn’t mean to jump the gun. Hope you can get away with surgery and be done with. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Peter hope you are OK after your recent procedure.   

• It's OK thanks.  Most of the pain has now gone but I am exhausted  - that may be because I insist on taking the dog for a walk rather than lazing around!

Peter
  • I know what you mean about keeping active but I think you would be the first to advise you need to listen to your body.  I must admit the dark days between my procedure at the start of the year and getting my results our dog Benji was a great motivation.  Best wishes for your results.   

• Well, I get the formal confirmation of results on the 15th in the afternoon.  It would have been rather poetic if it had have been the 14th as that is the 4 year anniversary of the initial diagnosis!

Peter
  • Not too long a wait. We’re with you all the way. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help