Free flap fibula surgery

• 14 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Good evening folk. Just a quick update regards my surgery.  As I have mentioned in previous threads the wheels are in motion for fibula free flap surgery to harvest my fibula and use this to construct most of my lower left mandible.  1st Oct planned and can't come soon enough as I have been managing pathological fracture, infections and now have an oral cutaneous fistula on my jaw, all due to osteoradionecrosis. Trying to keep busy and fit in preparation and increasing calories as I understand that weight loss is significant. Mixture of feelings, sometimes feeling positive and to be honest despairing. I think a lot of feelings have been triggered from previous cancer treatment for tonsil and 2x lymph nodes in 2022. Sending best wishes to all folk fighting their own personal challenges and battles. X

• Hi Shaun

Nil desperandum!  All the best for 1st October, I will be thinking of you.

June x

• Hi Shaun Thinking of yiu and we’re all with you. It’s won’t be easy but fingers x it’s worth ut. Remember yiu can rant and rave in here, we’re all happy to listen. 
    Leeds will look after yiu m start thinking if what you’ll need ti take )n with yiu Ill kick start the list extra long charging cable , headphones , tablet phone .Maybe a whiteboard and pen so you can  write down any messages to start with. 
    Download a few programmes to keep you busy. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Cheers Hazel that's good to know and yes I feel confident that I will be taken good care of in Leeds and its not miles from where I live so easy for wife n family to visit x

• You’ve got this there will be blips along the way but as a Yorkshire lad ( don’t  know if born here but you’re living her so that counts ) you’re a tough lad. 
    As a side note  we saw  Tour of Britain  today go through our daughters village , it was cold and wet they were fast whoosh and they had gone. You’ll be back in bike m hooe yiuve some rollers at home to get the practice in through the winter. I’ll be iver in Spain and will think of you on our rides. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Yep TOB very exciting and amazes me how they make hills look flat. I have a mate who's got equipment so going to set it up in garage for a pain cave, hopefully be turning wheels again soon. Enjoy your cycling x

• They go uphill faster than I go downhill!!!!!!! Were watching todays Vuelta now certainly warmer  than Barnsley was today. Great news we have a set of rollers I used in recovery. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• Good luck Shaun. I’ve just watched “Saving Lives in Cardiff” where a young lady had just what is planned for you and they made an excellent job of it so I’ll echo Country Lass and say nil desperandum xxx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Cheers Dani, it's good to know that their are good outcomes. surgeon mentions its going to be more complex because of need for revasculation surgery due to previous radiotherapy. He still told me that it will be a 95% success rate. That indeed was music to my ears.

Thanks Shaun x

• Roll on 1st October for you and hope all goes well with your surgery Shaun. One day at a time. Best wishes. x