HPV Status and dating

• 3 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with cancer in my tongue (squamous cel carcinoma) and completed my treatment in January 2021.  Fortunately I am still cancer free and feel very grateful to have survived even though I do now have some long term symptoms from radiotherapy.

One of the effects of my cancer was me re thinking my life and what is important to me and sadly my long term relationship ended partly as a result of this almost 2 years ago.

I am now starting to think about dating again but am worried about the potential of having to tell people about my HPV status (it was this that caused my cancer).  I feel it's important that people should know about this and how common it is because even my GP was not aware of the symptoms that I had being connected (lump in my neck).

But I'm worried it will put off potential 'suitors'.

Is there any way if we can find out if the HPV virus is still 'live' in us - are we able to still pass it on to others?  I know that a high percentage of people have HPV in their system anyway (I think over 80% in the USA ?) but it would still be helpful for me to know where I stand on this if possible.

Thank you.

• Hi  

I have read  of saliva tests for HPV in the USA but don’t know about availability here. It’s a question you should ask your oncologist. 
    It’s likely you have been carrying the virus around for years 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • As I understand it….. everyone will get HPV at sometime in their life, but most people will never know as most people’s body’s will fight it.

But some of us it lays dormant and then rears it’s ugly head in the form of throat cancers or cervical cancer, so yes cervical is also HPV and now the vaccinate school children so eventually there should be no more in the future!

I would have a word with your GP about it  but it’s not quiet the embarrassing subject we might think x

• As I understand it….. everyone will get HPV at sometime in their life,

And there are over 150 strains of it with 14 being high risk 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge