Twinges in nodes

• 20 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi all,

I am 13 weeks post chemoradiation.

I have just started to get these twinges in my neck nodes on both sides. It's not pain, more like something catching as I move my chin up and down. I saw my oncologist a couple of weeks ago and she said that my nodes had further reduced in size and that she could feel some thickening.

My rational brain says that this is probably fibrosis.

My scared, 5am brain says that this node feeling is the same one that I had before diagnosis and that things are growing back, already.

I have told my team and they don't seem unduly worried.

My PET scan is due in a couple of weeks. So, this will probably clarify things.

I am just wondering if anyone else recognises that catching/twinge feeling in the nodes?

Thanks

Steve

• I didn’t but might offer lymphodema and or fibrosis as an explanation? 
    The  lack of your team’s concern is a good thing. 
    Not long to wait for scan and results so fingers crossed. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Steve

I'm in week 7 post treatment and I know exactly what you mean about something catching when moving chin up and down  

I had this pre diagnosis and noticed it again recently 

Hhhmm think I'm going to mention this tomorrow at my first check up. 

Fingers crossed all is just great with your pet scan 

Kathy

X

• Thanks, Kathy. Please can you feedback here if you find anything out, tomorrow?

I actually feel reassured that someone else has the same thing!

Best

Steve

Diagnosed Feb 2023 with base of tongue cancer, oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC), HPV positive, staging: T4aN2CM0

• Hi Steve

I had something that sounds very similar to your pain. I used to get this cramping/catching type feeling on one side of my neck after one of my ops.  It was quite uncomfortable and used to happen when I moved my chin/jaw up and down. I used to massage it and it would suddenly twang and release and then be O.K. I had it for quite a while and then it just went away. I asked my surgeon about it and he was not concerned but did not offer an explanation. With any luck yours will go away too in time.

Never hurts to check with your medical team though when something is concerning you.

Best wishes

Lyn

Sophie66

• Yes of course. I'm not worried at all but a bit odd how the lymph node is smaller but still feels like it's getting caught. I thought it just me.

I'll update soon

Kathy 

• Hi Steve

Spoke to my surgeon and he said it's not the lymph node.

It's the carotid artery.

He said it can go stiff so I need to continue the shaker exercises every day. I did all the exercises 4 times a day from day 1 thank god.

He said I had a thin neck so I would feel it more than someone with a fat neck

I'm ok with that and it makes sense. 

I hope this helps.

X

• Thanks so much for the update.

I hope everything else went well with the surgeon.

Best wishes 

Diagnosed Feb 2023 with base of tongue cancer, oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC), HPV positive, staging: T4aN2CM0

• Hi Lyn. It’s two years since my neck dissection. Every now and a get if I move my chin/jaw in a certain way it’s like I get a bad cramp and it goes rock hard and I can feel a lump. It’s hurts and I massage it, after a few seconds it goes away. My consultant said it’s scar tissue and nothing to worry about. I was convinced there was something wrong, but he said it’s normal 
  • It's the carotid artery.

Crikey! That’s the main artery supplying your brain. Have they suggested you have it monitored by Doppler Scan? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Wow, 75%!   

"External radiotherapy is a common treatment for many head and neck malignancies. Radiation-induced carotid atherosclerosis is a major late complication reported after external radiotherapy and occurs in 75% of cases"

From: Mohammadkarim A, Mokhtari-Dizaji M, Kazemian A, Saberi H, Yazdi NA, Esfehani M. Assessing the short-term effects of radiotherapy on the shear modulus of the common carotid artery as a new biomarker of radiation-induced atherosclerosis. Ultrasonography. 2022 Jan;41(1):114-123. doi: 10.14366/usg.21032. Epub 2021 Apr 26. PMID: 34261210; PMCID: PMC8696146.