Ultrasound 4 years post-treatment

• 41 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi all 

I haven't been active in the forum for a while as doing well in my remission - Stage 2b R tonsil cancer HPV 16+, surgery and adjuvant chemoradiation completed in Aug 2019.

Attended for routine OPA today and consultant thinks he felt something on my R side - for reassurance is requesting ultrasound. Scope all clear, no obvious swellings etc 

Anyone eelse faced anything similar? 

TIA 

• Hi KMJ  long time no speak.
    Try not to worry the consul will be doing his job would be remiss if him if he has any doubts. My dentist last year saw something on my gum she didn’t like given my prior history like you  tonsil cancer she put me back in the pathway. I was seen x Ray and consult all in 2 weeks. It turned out to be nothing but as my dentist says she woujd never forgive herself if she hadn’t acted swiftly.

Just try to keep busy and everything x for you. 
    hugs Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Hazel 

Thank you so much for replying Two hearts you were so kind and so generous with your time and sharing your experience when I was at the start of my journey which was much appreciated. 

I think I've gotten a bit cocky and maybe taken my check ups for granted so this has knocked me for 6. As I said no symptoms and nothing obvious to feel so trying to be positive. 

Delighted you have passed the 5 year mark and living your best life x

• Thank you. Always happy to try to help a fellow sufferer.
    It will do I forgot that at my 3 year mark the scope showed a benign cyst on my vocal cord it’s still there hadn’t grown in last 3 years so we’re leaving it well alone. Yes remain positive and watch some  box sets to pass the time. Hopefully you won’t have too long for ultrasound and results and that there’s nothing there apart from scar tissue. In meantime pop in here fir a rant or a friendly word. Keep in touch. 
    Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thanks Hazel Blush will keep you posted x

• Hi there I went for my check up today - they noticed a ‘hot spot’ about 6 months ago and since then I have had an inconclusive ultrasound and an MRI that shows something but they are not sure what. Have been referred today for follow up ultrasound with biopsy (tissue this time not just liquid) so am feeling very nervous. I am two years ‘clear’ following neck dissection (bilateral T1N1, HPV related on tonsils). So am feeling your pain! Trying hard to persuade myself it’s nothing.. as Hazel suggests I’m trying to distract myself with varying degrees of success! Good luck and I’ve got everything crossed for us both 

• Hi popsicle I’ve got everything x for you as well.Let us know how you get in we’re all here for you. 
    hugs Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• Thank you so much for replying. I'm trying really hard not to catastrophise but struggling hence posting in this lovely group! 

Wishing you the best of luck - have got everything crossed for you Pray please keep us posted xx

• hard not to catastrophise but struggling

God! Don't we  just know how to do that, eh?

I remember you've had a couple of tight spots already what with having to have a rescan after your PET and a CT at a year. so lets hope this one is as innocuous 

I had a couple of false alarms on my way to four plus years. Remember, recurrence is much more likely in the first year and by the time you've done two years your chances are pretty good.

Good luck for your ultrasound 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply Two hearts

My sensible head tells me I will be grand as you say chance of recurrence is significantly lower at this stage but that loud "what if" voice just won't be quiet! 

Hoping I won't be waiting too long for scan and then results Pray 

Will keep you posted x