Update week 9 EATING 3 MEALS A DAY AGAIN

• 6 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Well his eating again. didn't get any worse for the 2 weeks as they predicted it would after treatment.....week 7, one week after treatment he tried soft foods again and to a certain extent succeeded, 3 feeds a day through tube still but just to keep calories up, he had a bad start to week 8 as he got one sore on his tongue that caused a bit of trouble especially first thing in the morning but he battled through continuing to eat a couple of meals a day. This week, week 9 he is eating three meals a day with only an occasional feed through the tube. He wants it out, its been so much trouble and is causing him pain again, probably because he put a whole load of garden furniture together yesterday. I think he is one of the lucky ones to have not suffered severe side effects, whether its down to the propolis who knows, but his sticking at it at least three time a day ( we are out more so hard to fit anymore in) as his taste is slowing coming back. No bad taste in his mouth, no mucus and neck completely healed. Seeing the consultant on Thursday to get discharged back to ent. Hopefully the nutrition nurse will set things in motion to get the tube removed as he has put back on a couple of kilos. To all of you going through this treatment IT CAN BE DONE and you come out the other side with a new prospective, enjoy life to the full, in fact we are booking a holiday in September, he is that confident he will be back to as normal as possible. His looking forward to the day he can try steak again, his favourite.

• What great news, well done to him (and you)! Can I ask, when did your husband start eating via tube and was nil by mouth during treatment, or taking food and water both orally + tube? I've got the Propolis mouthwash, spray and skin cream. I'm already using the mouthwash once a day and I don't start treatment until next Monday! I am also not getting my RIG fitted until around wk3, which fills me with dread. Have fun booking your holiday Smiley

Helen x

• Well done I could do a rare rib eye around 12 weeks chips took longer sweet potato fries were easier .I’ve been using the propolis for 2 weeks will do full report I; another 2. I’m using for burning tongue which I developed 2 years into remission. 
    Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Sorry I have not replied sooner, he continued to eat till week 5, just soft sloppy things that slid down, he didnt have much pain just difficult to swallow,, mostly by tube though.  Now we are on week 6 post radiotherapy and his eating really well. almost anything. 

• Thanks for the reply. It sounds like almost everyone ends up eating via tube with this treatment, regardless. My oncologist says only about 5% don't use it.  Excellent to hear your husband is eating everything again now Smiley

• Hi. Sorry to jump in but just wondering what the propolis mouth wash etc is? 
    Thanks

• This is the one we are all using. 
    Bee Health Propolis Liquid 30ml Pack of 2 https://amzn.eu/f57FYeK

You can use it as a mouthwash and it’s good for gut health so you can swallow it too. If you are swallowing then use it just before or after a meal. 
    It doesn’t look good in hard water and some of the propolis settles out instead of being in solution so use cool boiled water if your water is hard. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge