Third time unlucky? Back on the Fast Track again...

• 20 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Just offloading here. Some of you may remember my previous posts

Hubby had a radical neck dissection for throat cancer a couple of years ago, and then was diagnosed in March with tongue cancer - delayed diagnosis due to phone consultations only during covid. We have four children, who were really scared at the recent diagnosis. He has had two tongue ops in April and June, and his tongue is looking good from a cancer point of view now.

Unfortunately he started getting neck, ear and sciatic hip pains about a month ago. GP did hip x-ray (all fine) and gave strong painkillers, and referred to ENT for syringing.

He was seen for tongue follow up on Wednesday (delayed by a few months due to covid), and almost didn't tell the Maxfax consultant how bad he was really feeling. Thankfully I was there, to add my tuppenceworth, and they offered for him to see an ENT doc and get ears stringed that afternoon. During the ENT consult, they looked down his nose and throad, and they found a "bobbly" area just above his larynx, which needs biopsying asap, and MRI.

Since his appointment Wednesday he has been getting more symptomatic of cancer, (difficulty swallowing, coughing gunk up, food / drink coming through his nose, tiredness - though he was initially on huge amounts of painkiller - neck pain and tightness, voice difficulty, reduced appetite and weightloss, and he thinks he will be back on that treadmill again. I do too. We are scared of what will happen next. We are battle weary from the previous two cancers and the prolonged recovery. Three times now, he has had to relearn to eat. Our children are 6, 9, 12 and 15, and it would be the most awful thing ever, to tell them that he has cancer again. Things are also tight financially - he starts a phased return to work next week after 6 months off, and we can't afford to drop to half his wage if he doesn't return then. I am just back at work after a few months at home looking after the family. In March we had hoped his critical illness insurance would support us, but it turns out it only pays out again after 5 years cancer-free (even though it was a different cancer).

Has anyone else had a journey like this? What can I be doing practically? Only a very few people know that he has had cancer again in March as he is a very private person, and hates me to talk about it, but talking through things helps me.

I have also posted an abridged version of this in the Friends & Family Forum.

Thankyou for listening xx 

• Bless you Nat. I can only open my heart to you all. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi nat. When you’re ready we’re here. Nothing we can say but will be here for you all hugs Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi just sending you love my heart go's out to all  x

• Oh Nat, I don't know what to say except I'm so very sorry.

Linda x

• Dear Mumofmuggles,

I've just been reading through your thread. I'm so sorry for your hubby, you & your children. A truly horrible time for you right now, God bless. xxxx

• Hello Nat, so sorry to hear this, i understand how you all must be feeling, i don't honestly know what to say , i know the chemo can keep the tumour under control for a period of time which i expect has been explained to you. Just take your time as you have so much going on at the moment, thinking of you and your dear family.

Hugs Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Nat. I was thinking if you today  just wondered how everything was. Don’t feel obliged to reply just wanted to let you know. 
    Hugs Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Sorry to hear of your journey. Mine has been ongoing since October 2020, tonsils, lymph nodes, lungs and adrenal glands. 
    2 x30 radiotherapy, 2 chemo and a year of immunotherapy has left me incurable stage 4. 
    I have had since Christmas a very sore lesion on my larynx, ENT want a biopsy, my lung oncologist says no as it will make my symptoms worse and if it is benign it could make it malignant. 
    They’ve told me that until I cannot swallow, talk or breathe they will do nothing. 
    I’m not in a good place right now. Frowning2️

• Oh Gerry. I’m so sorry. It must be a thousand times worse if the doctors can’t agree. 
    Have you a Maggie’s you can visit? You might find some solace there. 
    Best wishes. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • So terribly sorry to hear this Nat but thanks for posting the news. It's so important to share with others even if we haven't had the same experience. All I have to offer is very kindest wishes across time and space, from my heart to those of you and your dear ones. And will be here if you find words to debrief further...

Kathy