Withdrawal symptoms..

• 31 replies
  • 34 subscribers

so, it's 02.45 and I'm climbing the walls.. I reduced my zomorph a few weeks ago to just 1 in the morning and 1 at night, about a week ago I reduced to 1 in the morning.. this week I decide to knock em on the head, but Sunday I hardly slept... Monday night/now I've been doing the okey cokey since 22.30.. left leg in, right leg in. right side, left side, back.. felt a bit flu like.. sort of like you feel after your covid jab, headache, irritable, emotional.. still on the paracetamol, but man, I'm bouncing... think a call to the CNS/GP will be in order in the morning... oh hum..

• Hi Loz

Coming of morphine meds caused me some problems with restlessness (especially with legs) and itching.... played havoc with my sleep pattern....short course of sleeping tablets helped ....and antihistamines for itching 

Peter 

• yeah, I'll see what they recommend...Thumbsup

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• You need a more gradual withdrawal . Take your morphine at night. Do you have oromorph? That will take the edge off.

I stopped my long acting morphine first in the morning for a week then I stopped the night time one but I was still taking oromorph three times a day. Reduced that slowly over another two weeks and all was OK.

OR you could tough it out and you'll be fine in a week.

I was even more stupid....I stopped the whole lot at once ....for a day!

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I am going to laugh at this as I had exactly the same 10 days ago so I know how you feel.  I now have the ultimate sympathy for anyone in withdrawal from any drug (alcohol, tobacco or illegal and legal)

At 3.30 am after 5 days of having those exact same symptoms I booked an appointment with my GP for a more decent hour that morning.  We came to the conclusion that the tapering off of the patches had not done the job and I was in withdrawal.  Back onto 5mg of Oxycodone/24 hrs immediately (like in 30 mins) solved the problem with a fractional reduction each week until I can cope.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • rang the Docs this morning, after having about 1 hour from about 05.45 to 06.45 ish.. 

waiting for  a phone call to discuss it..

So, how much oromorph were you taking at a time? that route might still be an option..

Loz (61)

• I've just looked up my dosing.  These figures will vary upwards by 10-20% for the equivalent depending on the source of the information...

Frankly I was surprised how much morphine equivalent I was taking at the peak.  Before tapering off I was on a 10 micrograms/hr patch and a minimum of 20 mg of Oxycodone per 24 hrs.  This is equivalent of  56 mg of Morphine (note that Morphine does absolutely nothing for me).

When I came off the patches I was only on a 5 microgram/hr patch and no Oxycodone.  That is still 12 mg/24hr of Morphine, or a 7.5 mg dose of Oxycodone (my opioid of choice).  I got immediate relief from 5 mg/24 hr of Oxycodone and with the agreement of the GP will taper off over the next few weeks.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • I've been prescribed diazepam for a few days, to get me over this hurdle.. I hope it doesn't present its own set of problems....

Loz (61)

• Low-ish dose for a short period of time you'll be fine, it works well; I've taken it on several occasions in my time without problem.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• so, 2mg before bed.. no effect.. wife said that she's never known me to be so restless... downstairs, another 2mg.. managed to have patches of sleep.. so, seeing that I have my PET/CT tomorrow morning it'll be early to bed with 4mg.. and fingers crossed.

Loz (61)

• Looks like you’ll just have to tough it out. Cry

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge