Update - Cancer of the Nose and Upper Lip

• 171 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would update you on my progress so far.  It has been twelve months since my radio and chemo therapy treatment for the cancer.  I met with my oncologist last week and so far so good no sign of any cancer return.  I am due to have reconstructive surgery as I have no bone in my upper lip and the treatment has made my skin so tight, that I will need to have some more skin added.  I also have a hole in my palette as the radiotherapy made the skin flap break down, so that needs to be repeated.  I also have a brain anurysum and I have recently been informed that this is also returning after being coiled for at least 14 years.  However, the doctor at that hospital seems reluctant to carry out the surgery due to my recent cancer diagnosis. If I can have reconstructive surgery, surely I can have that surgery as well.  I am not surviving cancer to be killed by a brain anurysum (not sure of spelling).  I have a video consultation with the Brain Surgeon on Monday, so I will fight my corner for the surgery to go ahead.  I will let you know the outcome.  

Other than the above, I have been back at work since May, full time and enjoying life as much as possible.  I can eat a bit more now, but still not enough.  I still have a night feed and one ensure daily.  It's my birthday next week, this time last year I did not care about it, but this year, I have booked a table at a one of my favourite restaurants to have a small family get together.

Speak soon.

Take Care

LadyH66

• Hi Heather

i am so pleased you had a great birthday meal   That is one of my goals for next year   My birthday was last week but saw kids outside for a visit which was lovely  

yes, work must give you that normality. I can imagine.it’s all so not normal on treatment isn’t it?  Still that is mainly in the past for you. I really hope they can sort things out with your artery  that’s just one thing extra you don’t need   

I am doing ok.  Just about to finish week 5.  Had second chemo yesterday which went well.  My nausea is ongoing so taking a lot of stuff for that but otherwise managing ok.  Haven’t had a tube as can still manage jelly/cream and weetabix so weight is ok.  Skin holding up round neck, just!  

sending all good wishes

lizzie

• Hi Lizzie,

How are you holding up.  You should be near the end of your treatment by now I think.  Let me know how you feel.

I had to have a tooth extraction last Monday at my local hospital.  It was the most painful experience I have had in a long while, It was brutal.   But its done now and all I have to do is wait for my reconstructive surgery.  With regards to the anurym, I have received a pre-op appointment to take place on 21 October, so at least things are moving there.

Let me know how you are doing okay.

Speak Soon

Heather

Lady66H
  • Hi Trish,

Hope you are fully recovered from your recent cold.  My sniffles have gone now, but still having to clean my nose every day at the moment.  

I had to have a tooth extraction on Monday at my local hospital, it was the most painful experience I have had in a long time, it was so brutal.  It was done under local anaesthetic and having to endure needles being  pushed in to a really painful spot was excruciating to say the least, my sister who accompanied me could here me screaming outside, it bought tears to my eyes I can tell you.  Anyway its done now and I am back in work and looking forward to my reconstructive surgery.  I also have a pre-op appointment for the anurysum on 21 October, so things are looking up in that department.

Please let me know how you are fairing.

Speak soon

Heather

Lady66H
  • Hi Heather

thankyou for your message.  I have finished my treatment today actually!   Never thought I would get here when I started!   So, on the slow road to recovery.  I can still eat at the moment but am on morphine plus patches.  The skin round my neck is v dry snd red snd I am using that polymer roll stuff.  I am sorry your tooth was so painful.  That just does not seem fair. Glad it’s out snd you can now move forward. Why did you have to have it out?  

Congratulations on year all clear scan!!!  Great news for you and not too long to wait for your reconstructive surgery. 

wishing you all the best 

lizzie

• Hi Heather,Its good to hear you have got the tooth removed.  Some dentists are a bit like butchers they should have put you to sleep after everything else you have been through.   I’m still sniffing with the cold, I thought it had gone but no it was hiding and gave me another dose. I have been cleaning 4/4 times a day and once overnight too. I’m just getting ready to go for my facial bone density scan to make sure the bone between my eyes is suitable for the magnets as I heard one plastic say in don’t think he’s think he has left it long enough for the magnets.  I shall be gutted if it can’t have them, that has been keeping me going through all this. I see my consultant on the 12th, did not know why, he just seemed a little excited that everything was moving along, hopefully he can tell me the results although he may not know. After that I’m waiting for appointment at Norwich & Norfolk for the reconstruction on my top lip and magnets hopefully.  Re-op too on the 21st, things are moving along. Fingers crossed there is nothing else to stop things moving.  

Speak later,

Trish x
  • Hi Lizzie,

Nice to hear you got through your treatment.  Did you ring the bell?  My neck and face were sore as I had to have radiotherapy on my nasal cavity as well.  I used to put my cream on and use the polymar roll on my neck.  I have forgotten how sore it really was.  I had to have a tooth extracted as it was loose and my mouth is so tight after the treatment that my top lip was rubbing on it and it was very sore around the area the nerves were also exposed on the tooth as well.  I have had a letter to say I have been put through for the surgery on my anuysum and I need to complete a online pre-op questionnaire.  So I will do that today and hope that the surgery will be soon.

Glad your coping okay, keep it up, I will speak to you soon.

Regards

Heather

Lady66H
  • Hi Trish,

Finally over my tooth removal escapade.  I am sorry to hear you are still sniffling.  It becomes a bit of a nightmare cleaning your nose area every day, never mind 4/4 times a day.  I have three fixtures attached to my nose, one at the bridge which has never been used and two on both sides.  A bar is attached to both sides and the magnet is in the middle of my nasal cavity.  I have been told that it takes years for the fixtures to be secure in the bone at the bridge, so that is why is it not used.  I don't know if it every will be.  The problem with the bar magnet is that it is very difficult to clean the nose with the magnet attached, but you get used to it.  I sincerely hope you get the magnets inserted, it is much less hassel.  I have a received a letter saying that I have been put forward for surgery on my anurysum and that I need to complete an online pre-op questionniare in order to avoid delays to the surgery.  I will complete that today and hope that I don't wait too long.  I will let you know.  

Good luck on the 12th, let me know the outcome.  I hope both of us don't wait too long for our reconstructive surgery, I would like to be able to talk properly, getting fed up having to repeat myself.

Speak soon

Heather

Lady66H
  • Hi Heather I’m still sniffing too.  I saw my Consultant this morning after having the Ct scan for the facial bone density.  I knew he would be searching for nasties  but  he didn’t find any and I remain cancer free.  He did say they had removed a bone at the front of where my nose was and that’s why my lip is doing it’s own thing.  He said he would get in touch with Norfolk and Norwich hospital now and hopefully things will get moving and I may begin to look normal again. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they can fit some magnets.  Have you heard about a surgery date yet? Let me know how it goes.  

Will speak to you soon,

Trish x
  • Hi Trish,

Good news about you still being clear and it looks as if you will get your reconstruction done.  I hope you get your magnets, it is so much easier.  I would hate to have to use glue.  I have not heard about my reconstruction surgery yet, but I have a pre-op appointment in the Walton Centre regarding the operation for my aneurysm so hopefully, that will soon be carried out.  I will hopefully get this one out of the way and then put pressure on Aintree to carry out my reconstruction surgery.  I have recovered from the horror of my tooth extraction, but now my top lip is sitting further down and it makes my speech even more harder.  I can't pronounce a lot of words, I can't pronounce anything that starts with a "B", but I do see the funny side of it, you have too don't you.  We learn to live with our difficulties.  But you know, I think about the brutal treatment we went through and  you know life is not all that bad at the moment.  I went mad this week and bought a new puppy.  She is a Shih Tzu and really adorable.  I didn't even tell my husband that I was buying a puppy and went home after work with her.  He was stunned to say the least, but he loves her anyway haha. I went shopping for items for the puppy last night at my local retail park and ended up going into one of big stores and buying lots of Christmas presents for my youngest grandson.  I never ever shop this early for Christmas and was too ill last year to even think about it, so this makes me think that my attitude to life has changed since my diagnosis.  Does that seen strange to you?

I will let you know if I get a date for my surgery at the pre-op on the 21st.  

Hope to hear from you soon, take care.

Heather

Lady66H
  • Hi Lizzie,

Just thought I would drop you a line to ask how you are getting on post treatment.  Let me know how you are.

Hope to speak soon.

Heather

Lady66H