sun protection.. after radiation treatment

• 16 replies
  • 32 subscribers

ok, am I to believe that we need to be extremely cautious when venturing into the sunshine, now we have had radiation treatment?

If so, can anyone recommend any 50+ sun block that isn't greasy or stains clothing.. 

Hoping for a lovely summer, now that I've already seen the swifts tearing up the sky.

cheers.

• You are indeed right to believe that, I always use factor 50 and wear a wide brimmed hat (I have quite a collection now).

I've used different brands of cream and all have done the job, but Nivea work with Cancer Research so that connection may give people extra confidence.

www.nivea.co.uk/.../niveasun-cruk

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Beau

I've been off to the sun recently....used Nivea Sun UV Face...Sensitive ...factor 50....works well....handy size.

Peter

• Hoping for a lovely summer, now that I've already seen the swifts tearing up the sky

You lucky devil. My favourite birds

Have you read One Midsummer’s Day by Mike Cocker? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • no, I haven't.. not much of a reader to be honest.. used to be as a child.. but I can't remember when I lost the desire..  

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Hi I spend 5 months a year in Spsin  I use factor 50 on neck snd face in both countries every day. I don’t use a particular brand just what I can get my hands on. Ad long as it’s protects fsctor 50 ftom uva and uvb which I think most do nowadays. For the first year I always  wore a scarf or buff around my neck. I never just lie in the sun I sit in shade.  But I still walk snd ride my bike. I find using the cream  daily I never forget. But do remember to reapply during day if out. I do swim whilst abroad but don’t stay too long in the water as I’m in the full sun thrn. 
    I tend to dip in snd out. 
    Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• so, no preference for chemical or mineral based.. looks like a bit of a rabbit hole.. or am I reading too much into it?

Loz (61)

• Hi Los. Yes it’s all too easy to go down rabbit holes. I think you’re reading too much into it. I go for recognised brand names and have been using them 6 years factor 50  daily and since my teens I’m fair skinned I’m fair skinned. 

Jus5 find one you’re happy with or of like me I go for what’s on offer as cancers expensive enough buying xyimelts chewing gum etc soon mounts up add expensive sun creams I would be bankrupt lol. As others have said start with Nivea they are recognised by cruk but keep off the ine use a day ones. As I think they are too thick and claggy.

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• so, no preference for chemical or mineral based..

Anything that’s cheap. They all legally have to have UVA/B protection. Five years in I dont need much and don’t spend a huge amount of time sunbathing though i‘m out in the garden and with the bees at every opportunity. 
    I paid a lot of attention to protecting myself in the first year but nowadays I usually forget to put any on. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Jus5 find one you’re happy with or of like me I go for what’s on offer as cancers expensive enough buying xyimelts chewing gum etc soon mounts up add expensive sun creams I would be bankrupt lol

ain't that the truth..

Loz (61)

• Worked in pharma for many years....learned that alcohol was the last thing that I should putting on my skin after shaving  i.e. aftershave...have been using Simple moisturiser for years...now supplement it with Tesco own brand Q10 anti ageing SPF 50...treat myself to Nivea version for hols.

Peter