Reaction to Chemotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

My son has recently undergone surgery for mouth and jaw cancer.  He has now started his radiotherapy sessions and yesterday has his first chemotherapy treatment.  He has said that today he is very cold.  He has spoken to his Macmillan nurse who said that quite normal, just keep wrapped up warm.  Has anyone else had experience of this and, if so, how did you manage it ?  

I know I'm a fussy mother, but just want to help him if I can.  Take care everyone and hug your loved ones. 

• Hi fussy mum. We’re all the same. I do it all the time even though mine’s all grown up

Chemo can upset your regulatory mechanisms so it’s simply a case of keeping him warm and comfortable. 
    Get him to wear extra layers a hat  and gloves. 
    RT made me cold and for weeks after I used to go to bed with a fleecy top over my PJs and a hat on. 
    make sure his drinks and food are warm. 
    If he starts to get really tingly cold hands and feet get him to tell his team. 
    Wishing him the best. Batten down and plug through it day by day and it will soon be over 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks so much for your reply.  It doesn't matter who old your children are, you still worry about them.  My son is 50, but I just hate to see him go through all this.  When I spoke to him this morning he said he had on a hat, gloves and thermal socks, as well as a blanket.  He also said his Macmillan nurse had said to have warm drinks etc.  He will have 33 radiotherapy sessions and one more chemotherapy session, so should be finished the treatment about mid October.  I can't thank everyone enough for all the replies I've had.  This forum and the help and support the family have had has been fantastic.  Thanks again, take care of yourself.  .  

• Hi It’s not unusual  I had 2 chemo sessions also both in August 2018 it was the battle of the thermostat in our house . Was 30 degrees outside but I was cold it varied as time went on. But I do remember I wore more fleeces etc during the following winter. By spring 2019 I was back  to normal. I used to say my internal thermostat had been fried lol. 
    Keep on looking out for him it’s what us mums do. 
    Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help