head and neck

• 2 replies
  • 138 subscribers

hello everyone.  i just wanted to say hi to everyone. its  5 years after my laryngectomy operation  so  i think ive got used to my new life without my voice.  i started off with the tru tone electrolarynx. them days was difficult ordering a taxi.  i would say hello and they would hang up. so i had a valve fitted that was much better for me. now ive gone hands free . i just want to say to people never give up and that it will always get better for you. when i was going through  my radio therapy to help me switch off to what i was going through  i would  think of nice songs and i would always have a pen and note pad with me and i would write my own words to the tunes. i now have a dozen cancer songs and writing the words in waiting rooms realy helped me to get through my therapy and the three weeks i spent in hospital after my laryngectomy operation. i even took a pen and note pad to bed with me and i would jot words down that would ryme with the tune that was in my head. people have said why rite songs when you havnt a voice and i say that there are things like autotune and audacity on the computer if its good enough for pop stars to use them then i will try it one day and see if i can do it for cancer support thats been my plan now for the last five years.  ive heard they got a laryngectomy choir in london it would be nice to start one in the midlands area. so if your going through head and neck treatment good luck to you all and take care

• Hi Johnny, what a great story!  My cancer diagnosis is nothing like yours, but it is just lovely to hear that you are now through the other side of the terrible disease!  I think your idea of making songs about cancer is a great one and should so do it.  I would certainly buy it and sure there would be many thousands of others.  Thank you for giving us all hope.  Take care.

Hugs

Hazel x

• Hi  

Thank you for such an uplifting story and well done.

ive heard they got a laryngectomy choir in london

I have heard them and they are brilliant ....I was blown away

it would be nice to start one in the midlands area

What a wonderful thought.......Let us know how you get on

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge