Hi new here

• 25 replies
  • 141 subscribers

Hi new here,

Having Tonsil biopsy tomorrow, after lump found in neck had cancer cells within it.

Not sure what to think ,very scared , key worker assures me we can get through this ! 

Any positive words would be appreciated 

• Hi Spider. 
    cancer cells ( namely squamous cell carcinoma) in a lymph node is the classic presentation of tonsil cancer caused by Human Papiloma Virus. 
    Its curable being really sensitive to radiotherapy if surgery can’t get it all. 
    Treatment has a  90% plus success rate if complete cure. So hold onto that 

Radiotherapy  +/- chemotherapy is a challenge but doable. 
    I am five plus years clear and living really well. 
    Stay with us. There’s always somebody to talk to here. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • And no question is silly. You’ll have lots. 
    Hugs 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Spider

No point in trying to second guess biopsy results, consultant will work out treatment options for you if Tonsil cancer is confirmed ... HPV16 plus has a very positive response to treatment..... Treatment is a tough gig.... most on here have walked the treatment walk.... will be with you 100% of the way....it is completely normal to be scared we have all been there..... keep posting on the forum... always someone about to help with questions and concerns.

Take care and best of luck 

Peter 

• Hi Danielle,

Thank you for prompt reply, I'm in the land of limbo at moment , surgery tomorrow to remove tonsil then the long wait for results and how consultant will go ahead ! Seems to think it's at base of tongue tonsil area?

• Hi Peter,

Thank you Pray 

• surgery tomorrow to remove tonsil then the long wait for results and how consultant will go ahead ! Seems to think it's at base of tongue tonsil area?

That’s where mine was. Base of tongue. 
    Biopsy results should be back in two weeks so if they aren’t keep chasing them. 
    Tonsillectomy is pretty painful so don’t hesitate to take pain killers. The hospital will likely give you cocodomol or even morphine. Take laxatives while you’re on those. Again hospital should supply. Things quieten down after ten days or so. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Danielle,

It's good to read your words.

Please keep in touch 

• I had the same thing and they will ask if you want a peg. Definitely go for a peg as it was my life saver. I had 6 chemo and 30 RT sessions but have come through the other side and back on the mend. This forum is a great help so stick with it and ask any questions 

I have just finished my 6 chemotherapy and 30 radiotherapy for tonsil and throat cancer. I have PEG and currently have to take all nutrition through it. 
    I am struggling to open my throat to swallow even sips of water. Does anyone have any tips as my gag reflex is high and really struggling.

Dave B 5246

• It's good to read your words.

Please keep in touch 

I’m here all the time. 
    Lots of us have your back

Hugs

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Welcome Spider, I am in the same boat as you.  Only I am a little further down the line than you.  I had cancer in my left tonsil and in a lymph node in my neck.  I had a Bilateral Tonsillectomy (they removed the left tonsil) on the 29th August.  I had a follow up appointment last week to see my surgeon and was told that the 'margins' weren't enough and they have to remove yet more tonsil tissue and give me a Neck Dissection (to remove the cancerous lymph node.)  I have my pre-op assessment today for my second surgery scheduled for the 23rd September.

Here are the 'comforting' thoughts for you.  I have been told by the surgeon and all the good people on here that it is a very successful cancer to treat (with a 90% cure rate.)  Judging by all the powerful stories of everyone on here that is most certainly the case, so hold on to that thought.

The Tonsillectomy was no 'walk in the park', but, for me anyway, it wasn't that bad.  I was sick from the anaesthetic on the first day, but after that it was then just a bit painful to eat and drink (just like a very bad sore throat) day 5 and 6 was the worst, after that it got better and better, until by today 17th Sept (just over two weeks) it's practically back to normal.  I don't know how it is going to be for the next surgery, but I will come back and update.

In the meantime everyone on here is so supportive and helpful and someone will always have an answer to any questions you may have.  So good luck and hold on to the fact that all should be well in the end!

Hugs

Hazel x

P.S. Reading some of the bios on here will give you plenty of hope, it did me!