Peg's

• 7 replies
  • 143 subscribers

so my tonsil treatment is about to start now (n2) i have had all my teeth out, but i am not to keen about the peg. has anyone here refused it and got through the 6 weeks of r&c treatment by still eating. I rekon i have about 2.5 stone i could safely loose as I was a constant 10stone until well into my 50's (Its the beer),
Do I really have to have the peg before treatment starts or is it possible to get it if and only if I cant manage eating?

• Hi and welcome. Yes there are members here who managed to get enough calories in without a feeding tube of any kind. I’m sure some will pop on to answer. 

is it possible to get it if and only if I cant manage eating?

Yes you can have a PEG during treatment but it does take a week or so to settle and some trusts won’t do it. I didn’t gave a PEG but an NG in week four which stayed in for 8 weeks. I managed well with that 

You need to keep your weight up to cope with the rigours of treatment. You are likely to be hospitalised if you lose too much weight. I kept mine on, losing a bit after treatment ended. 
    I would grab the chance of getting your PEG fitted before you start. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi my trust like Dani’s do not routinely fit pegs but I agreed to a n g tube if needed and I needed it at end of week 3 mins was I. For 6 weeks it was my lifesaver. They do not want you to loose weight you may be hospitalised or the mask might need re making again they do not want to do that. Some do manage many don’t so have a serious think. I woke up one morning unable to swallow even a sip of water it came on that quickly. If. Of course  the choice  is yours. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hello! Yes, l got thro’ chemoradiation without a peg. ( Tonsillar cancer HpV + T3N0M0 ). 
    lt is doable & l am 12 months post treatment now with all clear so far. However, it was not a walk in the park… Lots of pain towards the end of treatment but l followed the advice of my oncologist to the letter re: pain meds, eating etc. My recovery from side effects was apparently much speedier than others’. I really would not begin to advise you as we are all different & l can be a very stubborn person. Why not speak to your team? They know whats best for you.

wishing you loads of luck!  

• My advice to anyone is, if you are offered a PEG or RIG have it. My RIG was a lifesaver, and many in this group would say the same. All the best with your treatment.

Ray.

• My advice to anyone is, if you are offered a PEG or RIG have it. My RIG was a lifesaver, and many in this group would say the same.

THIS!

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• I would have been in big trouble without PEG feeding...lost 16 kgs before PEG stabilised my weight...however everyone is different...consult your oncology team.

Peter

• I insisted on a PEG before treatment.  I did manage to eat throughout treatment - until the very last day and then I had to go onto pump feeding.  That said I did have to use the PEG during treatment when the chemo caused me to have a really painful throat for a few days, but that was mainly for hydration and meds.

We are all different in how we react to treatment.  For me the after effect of the PEG is a good stable weight and a tiny second belly button to remind me of how much I needed it in the end.

As to weight loss it is essential to keep a stable weight so a) your body can get the calories to heal and b) to ensure your mask does not get too loose as it is essential to make sure they hit the tumour spot on each time.  I put on weigh before treatment, kept it on and then reduced back to my normal weight over a few weeks in agreement with my dietitian.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey