Cancer of the larynx T3N0M0

• 8 replies
  • 141 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Recently my father was diagnosed of squamous cell carcinoma of the right vocal cord T3NOMO and scheduled to have 30 sessions of radiotherapy and 2 cycle of chemotherapy (cisplatin). Also he just had some of his teeth removed today.

the oncologist and the MDT discussed the possible side effects of the treatment and what’s going to be likely to happen once my father started to have his chemoradio therapy. I am scared and worried that it will be a difficult journey for my father and I cannot stop thinking what else is going to happen.

i hope i can find encouragement from this group and support .

thank you

• Hi Syd

I had 30 + 4 chemoradio...it is a harsh treatment... T2N1M0 HPV16+ tonsil cancer...outcomes are very good for most with HPV+ cancers...circa 90% cure rate...14 months since I finished chemoradio...been on some sunshine breaks, exercising regularly...swimming...healthy BMI...Not an easy gig but doable...please keep posting on your dad's progress...plenty of sound advice and support from others who have been on/are on the same journey

Peter (age 69)

• Hi Syd sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis. The treatment is a challenge which can come with many side effects, all which can be eased with medication. However, it does come with very high cure rates, there of many of us on here who have gone through this with a good outcome and are happy to help others with their journey. Any worries or questions just ask someone will always help if they can.

Ray.   

• Hi Syd06

I am 72 and have just had a similar diagnosis mine is Squamous Cell Carcinoma (possibly left tonsil primary.)  I have to have a PET scan tomorrow (21st Aug 2024) and then I see my consultant on Wed (22nd Aug 202) to discuss the results from my previous MRI and what treatment they are going to give me.  They did say probably Radio and Chemo therapies and - maybe - surgery . I'm scared of course, but the good folk on here have been great have told me the same that the consultant said that it is a high success rate.

Hang on in there, sending hugs

Hazel x

• I am scared and worried that it will be a difficult journey for my father and I cannot stop thinking what else is going to happen.

Hi  

So sorry to hear about your father. 
    The CRT is a real challenge so your father is likely to need quite a bit of help. Now is the time to organise lifts to treatment for a start. Nobody has all the side effects but your father will get very tired and likely be in some degree of pain but this can be mitigated.  Does he have help at home? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi. I had 35 radiotherapy and 2 of a planned 3 chemo. That was 6 years ago am happily living a good life now  m  if he itches alone I think I he would need some help and either patient transport or lifts to treatment 

my blog below will indicate what I went through m

Keeo us posted 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hello Syd06

I'm so sorry about your father's diagnosis. The side effects usually kick in slowly and then get pretty tough for a few weeks - but it's only a few weeks then the worst is over. Eating gets difficult if not impossible so your Dad will probably need a feeding tube - not as bad as it sounds. Hang on to the fact that HPV-related tumours are very treatable. My consultant said it's one of the worst cancers to have in terms of treatment, but one of the best in terms of successful outcomes - I'm a good example (touch wood, so far!).

Wishing you and your Dad all the very best

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Hi Syd

My husband is 50 years old and has T3N1MO cancer of the larynx which has spread to a lymph node. He is in his final week of 6 weeks of radiotherapy with chemotherapy once a week. When he started his treatment he had a lot of pain in his throat and struggled to swallow causing weight loss. He is thin anyway so couldn't afford the weight loss. He was tired all the time and spent most of his time sleeping in the run up to his treatment.

We were fully prepared for what he might face. He had a PEG tube fitted, got a nebulizer ready and bought loads of sick bags in case he was ill on the 1hr journey to and from the hospital. He hasn't needed to use any of these!

Strangely, he has thrived during his treatment. The pain in his throat is less and he has managed to continue eating soft food throughout with the addition of 2 ensures a day. He has put on 5 kilos and looks better for it. He has lost his sense of taste but doesn't let that put him off eating. He has much more energy and doesn't sleep during the day now. He has redness in his neck from the radiotherapy which is managed okay with creams. His voice is more husky now which he thinks sounds cool! He has 2 more radiotherapy sessions left. I know he may develop more symptoms following the treatment but we have been so pleased with how it has gone so far. 

I know he has got off quite lightly and everyone's experience is different but I just wanted to assure you that not everyone experiences the worst of the symptoms that you are warned of. He uses hospital transport and travels in with another man who had tongue cancer and he didn't experience bad symptoms either.

Take care

Jane

• Hi I am 4 yrs over treatment of Squamous cell carcinoma of my Left tonsil ....and in 2 lymphnodes .....I had 35 rounds of radiation and did not have chemo ....because i have immune issues.   I am doing great and I only have one more follow up next april 2025  and then I am release from princess Margaret hospital in Toronto.   I have had a lot of swallowing issues and taste issues  and dryness of the mouth due to the high does radiation ...but I am cancer free and all is well....it is a journey and will take about 6months after treatment is complete for you to feel like yourself again ...but there is a high cure rate I was told 93% ....and I believe it ....cause I am there ....if you have any questions pls feel free to ask ....I highly recommend soups and ensure ... easy to swallow and keeps the calories up so you won't need feeding tube