Preparation before starting treatment

• 11 replies
  • 139 subscribers

Hi everyone hope you are all doing ok Sparkling heart 

My treatment starts on Wednesday and I'm trying to put plans in place. I was wondering what the hospitals supply? Also what GP's supply etc.

Did anyone put a prescription into the GP Surgery before their treatment started?

I have been given the duraphatt toothpaste from dentist.

Already got biotene dry mouth moisturising mouthwash, incidental brushes, soft bristle toothbrush incase electric brush hurts too much.

Advice would be very much appreciated 

Sarah xx

• Hi Sarah, i would advise you to get something to put on your neck after each RT session. My wife used to apply Aloe vera gel to my neck after each RT session. Only apply it after not before. Good luck with your treatment.

Ray.

• Hi Sarah

I got a silk neck scarf, self coloured (British Racing Green), to protect my neck from the Sun, non abrasive and lightweight......Head and neck radiotherapy side effects | Macmillan Cancer Support

Peter

• Hi Sarah. I got pain relief.  Cocodomol which I couldn’t take. Liquid paracetamol. Diprobase for moisturising. Chlorhexedine, Difflam, Gelclair, Caphosol and Duraphat.  I bought my own aloe vera to put on my neck in the car in the way home from RT. After a few weeks I found Duraphat too painful to use so got Oranurse which doesn’t have the SLS that is irritating. 
    I found Diprobase too greasy so bought my own Cetraben. I didn’t need anything from the GP as hospital supplied everything

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hello Sara

The hospital presented me with a large tube of Flamigel and box of Caphosol when I arrived for my first radiotherapy session….and supplied everything else I needed during treatment…usually before I realised I needed it.  Once treatment had finished, my GP has taken over.  The surgery hasn’t questioned anything which has been asked for and supplies my Duraphat and the feed supplements my nutritionist has requested to keep my weight stable.  I buy things like Fluoriguard mouthwash rather than getting it issued on prescription.  It is available from the chemist and costs little more than the stuff I used to use.

The soft bristle toothbrush is a good idea.  I also found using a water flosser less of an issue than interdental brushes or string floss when I was having treatment.…and still use one, although now in conjunction with interdental brushes.  They don’t have to cost a fortune…Lidl do one (when it’s in stock) under £20 which I found just as good as a waterpik costing over 3 times as much.

Good luck with your treatment.

Liz

• Very helpful info and thankyou Liz

• Thankyou Dani,

That's helpful to know, much appreciated

Sarah xx

• Thankyou, yes good idea, I have brought a couple of silk scarfs as well.

Sarah xx

• I kept my GP in the loop but got everything from the hospital that I could.  Ask for liquid versions of any tablets for when swallowing becomes a challenge.  During treatment don't be afraid to ask for anything you think you need and if something is not working tell them.

I used Aloe Vera gel (from Amazon) and E45 cream and managed to prevent all but the tiniest skin damage.  I was told it is OK to put on prior to the day's treatment but it must be done very sparingly to avoid changing the action of the radiotherapy.  I did mine multiple times per day.

A wedge pillow was very useful to help sleeping at night, again Amazon.

I got both a humidifier and a nebuliser.  Used both and found the humidifier greatly helped dry mouth at night and the nebuliser helped with the mucus in the morning.  Amazon must love me as these came from there as well!

In the first few weeks before the taste became too painful I used spearmint chewing gum to help dry mouth.  I am now back on that after a few months recovery.

Make friends with the hospital cancer charity - Macmillan, Maggies or otherwise.  They will provide invaluable support and comfort during treatment for both you and whoever is supporting you.

Get some table salt and bicarb to make up a mouthwash to keep mouth infections at bay.  I used mine 4 or 5 times per day.

Hope that helps.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi, hoping things are going well..

I can vouch for Flamigel RT, ask whether you can get it.... I got one helluva tan, but my skin remained intact.. 

silk scarves to protect your neck 

baby soft toothbrush and Oronurse.  

If caphosol is still a bugger to get hold of, salt/bicarb will do

tell your team of any issues, and they should sort you out..

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• I pretty much got everything I needed from my RT team at the hospital and they were excellent at providing stuff in advance (so I was prepared before issues arose). I seem to recall that I filled out a form to get free prescriptions which my local pharmacy told my husband about... I was told to use a soft toothbrush from the outset though I was a little late to the Duraphat toothpaste party and got loads of advice on here about various gels, spray and mouthwashes to try and ease dry mouth post treatment (all of which I get on prescription).