Hi Diagnosed today

• 32 replies
  • 137 subscribers

Hi all 

I've had my diagnosis today for squamous cell carcinoma in my neck so awaiting the start of treatment.

How long did you have to wait before start of treatment from diagnosis?

Thanks 

• You’re welcome I’m living a great life. There’s a good life to be had I don’t let cancer define mr. We’re all happy to help. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Becksley

I am sorry you have found yourself in this situation. I am relatively new on the forum but all the stalwarts** on here are brilliant and very very supportive of everyone.

I am two weeks in of 6 weeks radiotherapy. I was diagnosed HPV+ in January, had a tonsillectomy at the end of February and a neck dissection at the end of March then after 7 weeks I started the RT. So from first going to the gp with a lump on my neck (asymptomatic) up until now it has been 4 1/2 months. I think that is very quick and I am grateful for the NHS and for living close to the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle. 

They did tell me that they got all the cancer out and my lymph nodes have done a sterling job. The RT is being used to flatten any potential stray cells and increase my chances of the cancer not returning.

I have been off work since the tonsillectomy - like you I didn't want to increase my periods of sickness as HR can get very twitchy about it. I hope to return back to work at the beginning of September (I need to go back as I drop down to half pay and I live by myself).

2024 has been a ride but like everyone has said on here although characteristically similar all our experiences are different.

Good luck Heart

Dawn xx

*Some common synonyms of stalwart are stout, strong, sturdy, tenacious, and tough. While all these words mean "showing power to resist or to endure," stalwart suggests an unshakable dependability.

• *Some common synonyms of stalwart are stout, strong, sturdy, tenacious, and tough. While all these words mean "showing power to resist or to endure," stalwart suggests an unshakable dependability.

Dawn…. I love that. JoyJoy

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hello Becksley, I'm so sorry you're in this crappy situation, but glad you've found this forum - it was invaluable to me when I was going through diagnosis and treatment. 

I haven't got much to add to the experience & tips others have given you on here, but you can have a look at my profile for another positive story. 

The treatment is tough, no doubt about it,  but hopefully people will rally round and your dogs will help you through it! Being dragged out for a short walk each day was part of my recovery.

Love & solidarity

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Sounds like you are progressing well with your treatment that's great and a positive story for me starting 

I live alone too so money worries are the only thing getting me down 

But if you don't have your health you can't do anything.

Xx

• Fantastic news 

I will have a read 

This group has been amazing xx

• Definitely speak to your Macmillan Nurse regarding money - they will advise you on where you can get help. Heart

• I spoke to her yesterday and she told me to pop into my local Maggie's as there is a financial advisor there who will give me support 

Thanks NewDawn Heartpulse

• Fab, hopefully one less thing to worry about Heart

• Definitely Heart️Pray