My throat issues

• 12 replies
  • 127 subscribers

Hi just really need advice, don't really want to use Google, for the past year I've suffered badly with a sore throat on one side, it used to be on and off but for the past 6 months it's been constant, I did see ent a year ago who did ct scan and showed leukoplakia on my vocal chords, he said he thought the pain was my vocal chords rubbing together. I was discharged. The pain got so much worse, my doctor sent me for ct scan, they said there had been changes in 1 tonsil and an enlarged lymph node that needed biopsied and further testing. I was then sent for mri and ultrasound and although both tests showed enlarged tonsil they said there was no unusual characteristics other than being asymmetrical. The ultrasound showed enlarged lymph node but no unusual characteristics, over the past year and a half I've lost 2 stone unintentionally. Anyway sorry I'm now discharged again and referred to chronic pain clinic ...do I just accept that's it  sorry for the novel I'm 52 and previous smoker until November

• Hi Alison 

do I just accept that's it  sorry for the novel I'm 52 and previous smoker until November

No. I would push for a biopsy. Ask for a referral to another hospital and another ent. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Alison 

I spent nearly 2 years worried about an enlarged tonsil and neck lump... kept pestering medical centres....even though I was thinking that I was a hypochondriac.... eventually diagnosed as HPV 16+ tonsil cancer...as Da,ni states keep pushing until you are happy with the outcome.

Take care and best of luck 

Peter 

• Hi Alison, I agree with what the others have said, push for another referral, has Dani said, at another hospital if possible.

Ray.

• Thank you so much, was starting to think I was a hypochondriac, it was respiratory that referred me to ent after the abnormal ct, the reason I was seeing them was because I was coughing up some blood, I really appreciate these replies, I'm going to ask to be referred elsewhere 

• Good luck Alison. Let us know how you do. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you so much I will keep you updated, this is all very appreciated thanks 

• Hi as others have said push for a biopsy and another refferal. If you can afford it a private ent consult I’ve a friend who was ignored he paid for private ent and is now 6 month post treatment. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Def push for biopsy. I had cluster of cysts on right tonsil, consultant nearly didn't take a biopsy but thankfully she did. Stage 2 hpv 16 positive. Nothing showed on scans. Had tonsils out 22 March and had more of ghe tonsil bed removed and neck dissection on Monday. At home recovering. Please be pushy, good luck.x

• My doctor did bloods on Tuesday and they have just phoned to say there is changes in my blood count and they need to repeat them to make sure the readings are correct. No idea what that means either.I also have an ultrasound every 4 months because of my ovaries have septated cysts and a bulky ovary. It's been 5 months and I still haven't had another. I know the nhs are in a state but things are really slow it kind of panics you. I'm not giving up just yet, I just know that something isn't right. Sometimes though you just want to give in and say what will be will be ..sorry just a bit all over the place. Really appreciate every reply 

• My doctor did bloods on Tuesday and they have just phoned to say there is changes in my blood count and they need to repeat them to make sure the readings are correct. No idea what that means either

Are they measuring Ca125? That’s how they keep an eye on your ovaries. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge