Scared

• 9 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hi all. I was hoping for some advice and reassurance. I'm 42 and since February I have had the sensation of a lump in my throat followed by a small groth just below my left tonsil. I've had an appointment with my doctor and she has referred me to ENT for suspected cancer. I'm absolutely worried sick as I'm a father of 3 young children and the best wife ever I find myself very alone and just thinking the worst. I haven't had a sore throat or cough and I'm eating well.please is there anyone that can help.

• Hi if you’re unlucky enough to join us we wil all help. Head and  nec k cancers especially HPV ones respond well to treatment there’s lots of us on here attest to that. But keep off dr Google and try not to worry easy ti say hard to do. Remember 90% of head and neck cancers refferal turn out not to be cancer. Hopefully appointment comes through quickly. We’re all here for you to ask questions if just have a rant. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Than you Hazel. I appreciate your advise and kind words of support. I must admit I've been looking on Dr google and wish I hadn't. I've had my ENT oppointment come through for the 29th April so only other week to wait. I just find myself in a situation where I'm always thi ki g the worse.

• Hi it’s human nature. Now you’ve found us keep off dr Google unless you know where to look you’ll end up scared.  I know I did it 6 years ago next month I was in the same place as you but 20 years older. Healthy fit has just cycled 1100 km in Spain and wham my lump in neck wasn’t a strained muscle. Glad you’ve got an appointment come through. Hope you don’t need to join us but if yiu do we’re all happy to help. Concentrate on you lovely wife and 3 little ones worrying and stressing won’t change anything. The waiting’s the worst we’ve been there kerp busy and at nighttime watch trash tv. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thank you again Hazel. I will keep you updated as to when I find out results.

• Hi B.C

I had a swollen tonsil for nearly two years with an associated neck lump.... eventually diagnosed with tonsil cancer.... natural to be scared but HPV16+ type has a good response to treatment....as the others have stated try to stay away from Google.....this forum is wonderful for support and advice.....most have been there and done it.

Take care 

Peter 

• Thank you Peter, it's so reassuring that there are genuine people on here if good advice and support.

• Hi BC,

Like Hazel said the vast majority of referrals to ENT are non cancerous . 

I had lots of different symptoms over many months and several visits to GP before I was put through on the urgent pathway to see a ENT so the fact your in next Monday is brilliant .

Im sure they will collect all the necessary information from you and have a good look at your throat .If they do a scope( ultra thin camera )up nostril to look down at tonsils I can assure you it doesnt hurt just feels a  but strange Ive had 5 now( even with deviated septum). First time I opted for the( slight anestetic ) spray at back of throat but it tasted  horrible so last 4 without spray,they use on so it slides down up without any problems and doesn't take long.

Might be a good idea to take someone with you who can write notes on their phone or on some paper

No matter how tempting stay off Google it will only take you to places of anxiety and worry….. stay on here, there are never any silly questions only a fabulous group of supportive people to help x

We have all been there in the ‘Fear it might be cancer’ stage its awful try to keep your brain busy ( im sure thats quite easy with  having young chilldren). Do whatever makes you happy and Fingers crossed for Monday.

Debbie

• Thank you Debbie. With all this positivity from you lovely people its putting my mind at ease. I thank you all for your kindness and support. Thank you again.

• This group is here you whenever you need to post…

They helped me (and so many others) when we were in your position.

Just remember we are all unique individuals and so is H&N cancer ….which after the initial ENT apt  only a few of us are diagnosed with.

Best hopes B.C .