Advice on PET Scan

  • 2 replies
  • 133 subscribers
  • 182 views

Morning All. Hope your all doing Ok today.

As per my previous post I had a pre assessment for a tonsillectomy  carried out on Friday for the op on Tuesday morning. I was planned for a MRI scan today which after machine breakdown and possible postponement they have manged to move me to another machine and is still going ahead today thankfully. I have now received a call from the hospital re my PET scan due for tomorrow to tell me the machine is not working and the earliest they can re book me in is in another 2 weeks so Friday 15th. Even after explaining that I have surgery on Tuesday I was advised there was nothing they can do. Now based on this should I still go ahead and have the tonsillectomy as planned (I have tried speaking to the hospital but no answer over the weekend) or will the op be postponed also.? The waiting has been bad enough without been prolonged for a further month or so without answers. On top of this wont this delay be a potential problem in a possibility of further spread as I already have a diagnostic and the scan is to find the primary.

Pleased to hear your thought comments

P

  • Hi I had my biopsy has I had already had mri. My pet ct scan  was 2 weeks later. I would go ahead as planned. My pet  ct scsn was for the radiotherapy planning along with another planning ct scsn in my mask once that was made. 

    hazel 

    Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

    My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

  • Hi  

    A few things. Your MRI will be head and neck. It’s pretty sensitive but won’t pick up a tiny cancer. The tonsillectomy will if it’s there and it is the most likely place. 
    The PET is whole body ( well, down to your knees) and that’s looking for metastasis. I would definitely have your tonsils out. 
    What you should ask your CNS to clarify with your oncologist is whether recent surgery will confuse the PET with the inflammation of surgical recovery. 

    Dani 

    Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

    I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

    https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

    Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

    Community Champion badge