Tooth removal

• 22 replies
  • 136 subscribers

Hi All 

Can anyone tell me if they had to have sevetal teeth removed before starting Radiotherapy? Im due for 8 to be removed on Tues/Wed.

Many thanks

Debbie

• Did they give detailed reason why

Danger of ORN which to my mind is a cop out. You and I have been here for five years. We see some trusts seem to whip out teeth willy nilly. Yes I remember Lisa and Harry.

Mine were left alone, thank heavens. I remember having my OPG which a registrar took then asked for an opinion from his consultant who agreed with his junior that they were OK.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Hazel

Im trying to find a private dentist for Monday Ive also asked my Nurse at Rotherham to call Mr lester my oncolgist to say Im concerned about delay in treatment .The pain is now both sides of my collarbone so sore to touch Im convinced its on the move in my lymph nodes.

Thanks for great advice everyone I really appreciate your thoughts and sharing your own experiences.

It sounds like you know others who said no to dental extractions?

• Hi Debbie

My back teeth were already heavily filled, which is the reason I was given at the dental hospital for them needing to come out I.e.risk of needing future extractions/subsequent future infections. I'll never know now if it was necessary to have them out. The ones I had out weren't giving me any problems at the time. As I say, it was very psychologically traumatic having them out and I struggle now to chew food.

Jim Lester is lovely. I feel very lucky to have him in charge of my care.

Shirley

• Thanks Shirley good to know only met him once last week  and cried through most of meeting 

• Hi Debbie. Yes I do  kniw a few who chose not to have recommended  extractions.
    It’s a difficult decision but as I’ve said before don’t stress re lymph nodes I had 7 lymph nodes and I’m still here. I think you’re doing right thing in getting your Macmillian nurse involved. Luckily I had contact with my own dentist all the way through I know if I had been faced with 8 teeth I would have asked my dentists opinion. I was seen at Leeds dental clinic which is part of the Leeds teaching hospital trust  Sadly some trusts seem to have a policy if multiple extractions. I now have a denplan which ensures I get seen every 3 month I found in covid it was the only way I could continue to be seen. We have to be proactive nowadays.
    It’s a difficult decision for you to have to make. I can’t give you an answer only that I knew my teeth were in excellent condition as I had seen my own dentist prior to seeing Leeds dental hospital as part of my regular check ups 2 weeks previously. 
    hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Ditto mine was the same OPG was checked and cleared. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Debbie

My op was different to yours (jaw cancer) and as a result have none of my own teeth left except in the lower left side of my jaw. I would say don't get teeth removed unless absolutely necessary as it really impacts on your ability to chew and eat. If your teeth are in good health definitely question why they need to come out. From someone who has practically none (only a denture now) it effects your eating quite severely.

All my teeth were in good order when I had my ops but they had to come out as part of the op. Cherish those teeth. I miss mine.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi Debbie.

Glad you’re getting a second opinion on your teeth.  The stress of the cancer is enough to cope with - without adding in the trauma of major extractions.

sending love & hugs Hugging 

Dave & Ange x

• Hi Debbie!!   

I actually had ALL of my teeth pulled... I had Squamous Cell on the right side of my tongue.  Plan was to remove side of tongue w tumor, & do neck dissection, to remove any cancer in lymph nodes, & plastic Surgeon remade my tongue at the same time.   I was then supposed to heal completely, then see Oral Surgeon for teeth removal ... & as soon as mouth was healed , I was to start Chemo & Radiation.   Which to me just teased me with what could possibly be my last days of eating somewhat normal... Sooo my Surgeon offered to pull my teeth during my surgery.   He reminded me that he wasn't a Dentist but felt confident he cld handle it .    And I must say in hind site, due to the swelling of my tongue  I never even felt my bare gums until the tongue swelling finally  went down , I swear 6 months later.    Praying for U sweetie, Good Luck!!   

Charolette

• Thanks Ange sending you both a virtual hug and best hopes for tomorrow x