Partner waiting to find out

• 40 replies
  • 144 subscribers

Hi all, my partner (29m) has been struggling with a hoarse voice, excess phlegm and has a swollen throat. He got an endoscopy through the NHS in the summer which showed clear and he was diagnosed with silent reflux and given medication.

Nothing worked and although his voice did get slightly better before Christmas it got a lot worse recently. I pushed him to go to a private doctor as we have the privilege to do so since we both work. 

He had his appointment today and they could see a mass on his right vocal chord. They have told him it could be cancer but it also could be something else. He will get a scan and biopsy soon but I am so extremely terrified. 

He is young fit and healthy otherwise and has no underlying conditions and has never smoked. He drinks a regular amount but not weekly or in excess.

Basically this is why I am here as I just don't know what to do and can't see how I will cope with the next few weeks of waiting.

Thank you for reading

• Hey, it seems from all I have experienced and all I have read that ‘might be cancer’ is a precautionary phrase that will push him through the testing process asap and hopefully give you clear answers soon. Even if it was, there is lots that can be done. wishing you the best 

• Hi Midna

If I read your post correctly your partner is 29years old? laryngeal cancer is almost unheard of in a man so young.Vocal cord nodules can be caused by any manner of things. I think Mumoftwo's diagnosis is likely correct. He's been put on an urgent pathway to get to the bottom of this quickly so his your doctor is spot on in getting things moving. 90% of cancer referrals turn out to be something else, so hold onto that.

Waiting is hard. All of us here know that and all you can do is keep busy and do other things but think about it.

Good luck. I hope it goes no further

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • This post was by   not me, but I’m sure she will be glad to hear your information. Thanks 

• oops.....I'll fix it Thanks.

Sorry, it's early and I haven't got my coffee down yet.

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Midna  As the others have said there’s other things that it can be. The quickest way to be seen is via the 2 week cancer pathway. I do know my local trust general ent has a 37 week waiting list. I was speaking with my ent consultant in December and she said to me well over 90% of referrals she is seeing on the pathway arent cancer but  it’s the quickest way doctors are getting patients seen. The waiting’s the worst part best advice keep off Dr Google you’ll only scare yourself even more than you anre  already. Try to keep busy and don’t dwell. Let us know how you both get on. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Thank you for your reply!

• Hi Dani, thank you so much for the reply. We are feeling a bit better today, yesterday was very shocking and hard to know what to do who to tell etc.

That seems to be what is happening as we expect to have a full idea of what is going on in the next week or two.

I will keep the forum updated.

X

• Fingers crossed for you both. Hugs 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Hazel, thank you for the reply and your advice.

X

• Hi everyone, my partner went for his CT scan yesterday and the doctor has just phone him today to say based on his experience he does think it's cancer. He had a biopsy on Monday at 9am to confirm.

He is obviously very scared and upset and has expressed that he does not want to leave me. I have told him to not think like that but this is extremely hard.