Nasopharyngeal Cancer - Good News Just In

• 32 replies
  • 131 subscribers

Hi it’s Anghog here….sorry I have not posted actually about myself before…I’ve just replied to other posts but I wanted to put a bit up now about my tale. On my birthday on August 23 last year I was 53 and I received the news that the lump on my neck was a secondary cancer and the most probable primary was behind the nasal cavities…caused by the mutation of the Epstein Barr Virus. this was confirmed after a biopsy under general anaesthetic. Unfortunately a couple of weeks later my husband died suddenly of a heart attack and he was buried two weeks before I started my treatment at the beginning of October. He had been ill and I was doing home dialysis for him but it was a huge shock. Since the. I received 5 rounds of chemo and 35 radiotherapy sessions which ended on 16/2. My consultant said at the start we are aiming for the treatment to be curative. the journey has been hard and I ended up with Ecoli and was hospitalised for 5 days in December. I also developed blood clots in my legs ..so still injecting for another month. But the great news is that yesterday the results of the PET CT scan were confirmed to me. I have been given the all clear. I know we can never be sure it will not revisit us….but I just want to give everyone some hope and that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am now looking forward to a new and different chapter of my life…lots of catch ups with friends and family. truly grateful for this second chance and I know Brian is looking down and has been looking after me x

• Hi shinbane, sorry to read your wife is having this trouble in her recovery. If she is not eating at all and losing a kilo every day, you really have to contact her team and let them know, so they can get something done. Your wife needs as much nourishment as she can get to help her recovery along, it is often said on here, treat food as fuel for recovery. All the best to you both.

Regards Ray.

• Hi Shinbane I would recommend contacting your wife’s dedicated cancer nurse or the cancer hospital team she has been treated through. I was still managing to drink the ensure drinks diluted with whole milk and with ice twice a day which helped see me through until I could start eating small meals and yoghurts. I lost just under 3 stone and was about 3 weeks after treatment finished before I started being able to eat a bit. Is your wife managing the ensure drinks?They were a lifeline for me. When I started it was very small meals such as cuppa soups cream of chicken very bland and cool enough to take. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know and I wish your wife strength to get through the next few weeks …it will improve x

• Hi Luggs

Just checking on how you are doing

• Hi Shinbane. Welcome sorry you’ve found yourself on here. To be honest I would ring the oncologist medical secretary no one last  that long just on sips of water inti recovery in my opinion. She may well need are hydrating via a drip and a re look tk see if n g tube Dan be fitted. Also get in touch with the p a l s department at your hospital cancer patients should have access to help in recovery in so so sorry you’ve found yourself in this place. In meantime can you thin the high calorie supplements ensure or fortisip down to get some food insude her. Recovery needs nutrition by any means. Maybe the oncologist can decide a n g tube can be fitted or even a peg she needs help. 
    Don’t mean to scare you but please seek help. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi, thank you to all kind enough to read and especially those who responded. Update is-went to local hospital today for bloods (cancer centre we have had to go to every day is 40 miles away..which made things even harder) and they sent her straight to A+E Tara is now admitted and on a drip, first for electrolytes, then for fluid, then general nutrition, and they have treated the great seeping burn wound on her neck, hoping this turns the corner. And even watered down fortisips wouldnt go down, the last two days even the plain cold water was coming straight back up. Seriously, thank you all for caring..it really helps.

• So pleased the team are taking action and Tara is being cared for x thank you for updating us 

• That 's good, hopefully she will start to feel a bit better in a couple of days. don't forget if you have any worries or questions just ask away on here, we are all here to help each other.

• Hi Excellent news it’s scary but she’s in the best place  only  sorry you’ve had to find yourself in this position. I would take it further whenTara is home  as to why your cancer nurse or someone from team hasn’t been returning your  calls. Even if it’s so the next person gets attention .i know what you mean I had to travel some days a 90 minute journey to my cancer centre. 
    Please let us know how she progresses. 
    Hazel x

please look after yourself as well Tara will need you when she’s home. 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Just to keep up, and thanks again, after a few days in the local hospital they found a fungal infection that was causing most of the blockage. This was treated and we are finally making a bit of progress, some drinks (strangely coke goes down better than most things) and a few very soft foods such as soup and very soft boiled eggs-things are a tiny bit easier every day at the moment, and the external burns have been dressed and are healing, Thank you all again! Still no word from macmillan though..

• That’s good to hear. hopefully things will gradually improve now. Really disappointing about the lack of reply. all the best to you both x