Newbie, tonsil cancer T2 N0/1 (tbc) M0, just had surgery, in a lot of pain!

• 33 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hi all, thanks for welcoming me into this community. I am new to this world. I was diagnosed with hpv tonsil cancer last month with a nearby swollen lymph that didn’t show as cancerous in any scans but caused some obvious concern. Tumour is stage 2 but as it seemed to be a contained tumour it was agreed surgery would be worth a try first so we can biopsy the equivocal lymph node. Then chemoradiation or just radiation if needed (or possibly no further action but not sure how I feel about this). Anyway, I’m 5 days post surgery and in agony but the inability to swallow is driving me mad and I’m rapidly losing weight that I can’t afford to lose. I choke or spray everywhere. I really don’t want a tube and can’t even stomach ensures. Any tips to get swallowing back on track as quickly as possible? 

• Hi Sarah. Welcome from me. I too had tonsil cancer but surgery wise only the biopsy. From  what others have said the pain will peak around 10 days. But in the meantime you do need food , I had the ng tube it may be the only way if you really can’t swallow the ensures or ask for another type fortisip maybe ? I was T2N2NM and had the standard chemo radiation .Have you tried poached eggs ?  Or even complan a that most supermarkets sell They are nutritious and slip down . Are you taking pain killers by rote ? Do you have co codomol and oramorph ?
    sadly there’s no magic wand only time will help. Please let us know how yiu get in and if you are going down chemo radiation we will all try to help. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Sarah and welcome from me too. 
    I didn’t have a tonsillectomy but many people here did and all reported that it took two weeks before they were comfortable 

What pain relief are you on? If you’re trying with just the usual paracetamol and/or ibuprofen give your GP a ring to get some high strength cocodamol. 
    Let us know how you get on 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sarah - sorry you find yourself here, but it is an invaluable group and where I've found out so much invaluable insight and support!

I had my (left) tonsil removed on 5 May - my consultant wanted to whip the whole thing out instead of a biopsy, then sent it to the lab. It was HPV+ (which is much more responsive to RT) and a T3 (1 lymph slightly bigger but not big enough) . I'll be starting my treatment next Monday, 4 July (6wks RT and 2x Cisplatin infusions). The oncologist & consultant said any potentially dodgy lymphs will be blasted with the RT.

An adult tonsillectomy (although referred to as a minor op) is extremely painful in recovery. You'll probably be aware that pain (massively) increases from day4 and mine subsided around day 8. So sounds like you're in the eye of the storm right now! In those days I set my alarm to ensure I was taking painkillers every 4 hours, throughout the 24hr period. I did paracetamol, 2 hours later ibuprofen, codeine during the evening/ night (as they made me sleepy). But I found 1 codeine also helped in the morning as pain was worse for me morning and middle of the night. Don't chase the pain, stay ahead of it and take your meds before it's horrendous. You will feel loads better in a couple of days - promise!

I had soups, smoothies, scrambled eggs, overcooked pasta (slips down easily) cooked in a stock cube with cheese on top (tomato sauces too acidic, so I had green pesto and gallons of olive oil!) ... and loads of tea and water.

Keep us posted - you'll be a lot better in 2 or 3 days, then you can start shovelling in more calories Smiley

Helen x

• Hi Sarah, I had my tonsils out, I was given paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain, which did work well for me. Like Dani has said, you may need something stronger, from your GP. Hope you can get it under control.

Regards Ray.

• An adult tonsillectomy (although referred to as a minor op) is extremely painful in recovery.

I can vouch for that, had my right tonsil removed in 2013, absolute bloody agony!!

Was fortunate that my GP had had a tonsilectomy himself just a short while before mine, so he was very sympathetic and gave me lots of stuff to throw at it.

Hi Sarah, welcome to the community, nobody really wants to be here but it's a great place to be when you need it.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• So true, Mike! Adult tonsillectomy is a new level of pain and the sickest joke is that the pain creeps up on you after 3 days of thinking "not so bad, I can handle this" - then BAM!! (I was warned by my surgeon about day 4, but still didn't expect such intensity!) My pain seemed to subside pretty quickly around day 7 or 8.

• Thank you all SO much for your replies. What an amazing community! 

Dani/Hazel - I feel like I already know you both as I read your blogs about a month ago when I was first diagnosed :-)

I had an NG tube in the hospital but they removed it 2 days ago as I was managing to swallow yoghurt, soup and weetabix for the first few days but since then everything seems to get stuck in my throat, no matter how liquid/sloppy I make it. Even ensures get stuck, and I choke or it pours out of my nose.

Re pain meds, I was prescribed the usual paracetamol/ibuprofen combo with Tramadol, but they made me really sick. So I've now got codeine and naproxen which I'm starting on this afternoon.

I should probably have also mentioned I had a selective neck dissection as well as the tonsillectomy (only on right side though - so I still have 1 tonsil bizarrely). 

So it sounds like what I'm going through is normal albeit horrific - I'm on Day 6 so definitely sounds like I'm in the middle of the worst part, I guess I just need to keep going.

• This is exactly right. I honestly thought it wasn't too bad until now! And my surgeon also warned me, but it just seemed to creep up on me! Looking forward to getting to the 'magic day 8' :-)

• Hi Sarah. Bless you we do all try to help each other, as we know in the cancer world ours is quite an exclusive club.Before my diagnosis not one if my friends and famiky  heard of h p v oral cancer now we’ve a whole community!

I’ve still got my left tonsil radiotherapy melted the other ones, as others have said day 8-10 the pain generally subsides. It may be that you are put in a watch and wait programme which will leave the chemo radiation in case it’s needed. I would have a good chat with your  consultant and see as chemo radiotherapy is a one chance treatment we can’t have it again in the same area. 
    keep in touch  and remember with codeine you’ll need laxido or movicol as constipation it the last thing you want even if you’re not eating much.
    Hazel c 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Exactly! And don't worry, a few days of light/ little food won't be too bad and you'll be able to start eating more calories soon. I've been eating well the last month and probably put some weight on (even in the last week!)  Drink loads of water. It'll sting in the next few days as the scabs start to come off (yuck!) but all totally normal Slight smile

Helen x