Mother diagnosed with Head and Neck Cancer of unknown primary.

• 62 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hi

My Mother aged 76 was diagnosed with Head and Neck Cancer of unknown Primary early May 2022.

Diagnosis was made after biopsy of cervical lymph node directly under jaw (near ear) on right hand side of neck. 

Ultrasound and MRI have not managed to locate the primary site, currently awaiting results of PETSCAN and due to be put under so they can view the throat/mouth region next week.

Lump in neck was noticed early February 2022.

Currently my Mother does not have any symptoms other than this one lump in the neck. Her voice is fine, no soreness in throat, no problems with swallowing and no issues with sinuses/ear/nose.

I will update this thread periodically.

I wish everyone the best of luck in beating this.

• That’s good news that they have found the first cancer. Mine was at the base of the tongue and I never had any surgery either. The radiotherapy will get any neck disease. There have been a few trials which show that prognosis isn’t much affected by doing a neck dissection to look for more disease. RT is a big hurdle but not insurmountable. Most of us recover well. 
    Stick with us and we’ll help you and your mum through. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Dani/Hazel/Peter

Thank you so much for your replies and your offers to help with any questions I may have, greatly appreciated.

Will be in touch.

Actual diagnosis is

"TxN1M0 SCC found in right neck (Level 2) with probable right tongue base primary.

• It’s no problem. You are very welcome. There’s a whole community here to answer questions. If one of us doesn’t know there will be another who does. Three plus years clear my advice is never contemporaneous just based on what happened to me. Time and techniques move on so a lot of the time the best info comes from people actually going through treatment or just finished. 
    I try my best however to calm folk down because it’s a very frightening and uncertain place to be. 
    Funny how we all get experts at our cancer. Still knowledge us power. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi All

Meeting today to discuss treatment. It will be 6 weeks of Radiotherapy. 

Treatment expected to start in 3-4 weeks.

Cancer is HPV + so positive news in that respect.

Blood tests and jaw x ray also took place today and Mask to be made early next week.

There will be no temporary feeding tube. The Oncolgist does not consider that the Radiotherapy will affect the salivary glands due to cancer being on right hand side of neck. He informed us that the usage of painkillers should suffice, especially if swallowing becomes painful.

• Hi Similar trajectory to me but I did have 2 chemo sessions. As for no feeding tube I would keep an open mind especially given  your mums age. We are all different but by week 4 no way could I swallow medication so just be aware. Oncologist s  can err on the side of optimism.Inhad the n g tube fitted and was in for 6 weeks in total  

Yes the HPV diagnosis does mean the tumours  are more responsive to treatment. Which is a plus point , it’s notbeast but take everything one day at a time. . 
    Any questions just ask

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hazel

Thank you for your reply.

Interesting your point on the feeding tube, as I was expecting the provision for this as being highly likely. 

Agree with your comment regarding optimism. I was expecting more of a these are the type of side effects you will get conversation, but it appeared too optimistic from my research.

In regards to discussions regarding prognosis, the Oncologist certainly provided no false hope, which I appreciated. But had to explain to my Mother "how 5 year survival rates are calculated". 

• Quick update, phone call received this morning for 2 or 3 teeth to be removed following x ray yesterday.

The teeth are at the back of the mouth on same side as lymph node and base of tongue cancer tumour region.

• There will be no temporary feeding tube. The Oncolgist does not consider that the Radiotherapy will affect the salivary glands due to cancer being on right hand side of neck. He informed us that the usage of painkillers should suffice, especially if swallowing becomes painful.

I might take that with a pinch of salt. Base of tongue cancer on one side is what I had. I needed an NG tube in week 4.

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Dani

Thank you for your comment.

I have briefed my Mother that the provision for a feeding tube may be required later into treatment. I was surprised the Oncologist did not think it would be required.

• Mask made today and radiotherapy starts on 18 July.

My Mother was also shown some exercises for swallowing etc by the speech therapist.

My Mother is relieved that treatment is starting soon.

I will update at the end of every radiotherapy week with wellbeing/side effects experienced.