SCC of the tongue

• 1 reply
  • 125 subscribers

Hello, 

my hubby was diagnosed a few weeks ago with SCC of the tongue, he has had one surgery but unfortunately we’ve found out it wasn’t successful in getting it all. We are now waiting for a date for more tongue surgery with reconstruction and lymph node removal from his neck. I’m sure we will find out more once we see the surgeon but I’m just wondering about recovery after the surgery and how best I can support him? Xx

• Welcome to the group.  Happy to discuss.  In the end they did not remove any of my tongue (where the primary was eventually found) - long story - but I had 2 neck dissections and tonsils out.

The neck dissections are relatively easy to recover from, at least for me.  Just need to remember that muscles in the neck are affected and the head is floppy for a few days.  There can be some longer term side effects from the operation but I've found that after 18 months and some physio none of those are really limiting me in any way.

There will be someone along shortly to tell you about the tongue from actual experience.  I am guessing that they are looking to go back in to establish clear margins in the tongue.  Maybe that will mean no radio/chemo at this stage.  That was certainly the path I was on before things changed.

Once you have the clinical information let us know and we can offer some advice on coping strategies. 

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey