Possible laryngeal cancer

• 136 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi everyone this is my story so far, 2 months ago I started snoring and a feeling of something dangling in the back of my throat, sometimes I’d sort of choke on my saliva like going down wrong hole, so mainly cos of the snoring which seems to have come on all of a sudden I took a trip to my GP who referred me to ENT at my local hospital where they examined the back of my throat with the camera up the nose and found a lump in my Larynx and also one of my vocal cords wasn’t working and it was that which was causing the snoring                                                                             
since then I’ve had a CT and MRI plus biopsy on the lump found in my larynx, tomorrow I have a ultrasound and aspiration biopsy on my lymph nodes in neck, and Tuesday I have another appointment at ENT and hoping for results of biopsy on the lump they found                                                                            
so as you can imagine I’m going through thoughts of pending doom and I think I’m going to die I know you shouldn’t consult Dr Google and have got a severe rollicking from the Mrs etc , thing is when you read up about this sort of thing most say that it’s smoking and heavy alcohol use that puts you at a higher risk and I do neither, also the permanent sore throat hoarseness and cough etc I’ve had none of that only the snoring and choking sometimes                            

ive got a thousand and one things going through my head at the moment and I’m absolutely petrified, thinking has it spread have I had it for ages and not even known hence no symptoms, I’d appreciate any responses and I will keep you updated of all the test results  

• Thanks carran and well done you, I will certainly be sticking around for advice and support you take care too 

• Hi Kenny your diagnosis and treatment is very similar to my first one. My primary was in my piriform fossa, which is part of the hypopharynx and I had lymph node spread, though nothing at that point in my vocal cords. I also had a neck dissection before the RT and chemo which you don't mention, so I assume you're not having one.

In my case I drew the short straw and it did come back six and a half years later but more often than not it doesn't, and very little point in worrying about it as Dani has said, though not an easy thing to do for many.

Removal of voice-box is, as you say, a bit radical but it was my only option last year and I'm very comfortable with how I am now; the chances of you going down the same road are small though, very best of luck with it.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Mike, no they aren’t doing a neck dissection they said they are treating them with the radiotherapy also getting a pet scan sorted now, things happening very quickly I feel like I’m on another planet and it’s just not real but once treatment starts it’s head down I spose 

• Just a quick update went to the dental hospital yesterday for a check up and didn’t need any teeth pulled and general mouth health good but she did stress on how important mouth hygiene is important during treatment so I took that on board, next appointment is Monday for mask fitting etc, also waiting for pet scan is this normal before treatment to have one of those?

kenny

• Hi Kenny. The PET is to check fir spread as you’ve probably surmised. I think a lot of folk have a PET/CT if the pathologists find any cancer in your lymph nodes. I didn’t have any nodal spread but I did have a chest CT to check 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good news on your teeth, I lost a few lower ones but at the back fortunately so not visible. 

Scan is normal. I had a CT, an MRI and a PET-CT ahead of my first treatment, but most of that was because they couldn't find my primary site, the PET-CT was "eye to thigh" to check for spread.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Kenny,  of course not the news that you wanted but now confirmed you can now focus on the next steps.  I was in a similar position 21 months ago (SCC base of tongue) and it is the fear of the unknown which is horrible at this point.  Your Doctors and consultants will be putting a treatment plan together and I found that once I had that I could focus on the next steps.  I received excellent care in the height of the Covid panic and am now in remission.  I didn't have surgery - RT and Chemo - This community was a great support to me and the knowledge and support of many on here really helped me through the treatment and immediate post-treatment period.  I wish you well on your journey and be sure to check in regularly - its sometimes very difficult to talk to those closest to you and they can feel helpless - people on here have some understanding of what you are going through and will do their best to support.

SCC  Base Of Tongue diagnosed March  2020 T3N1 or 2 P16+

30 Sessions RT 65/54  5 Chemo Cispaltin  Apr/May 2020

Martles61