Possible laryngeal cancer

• 136 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hi everyone this is my story so far, 2 months ago I started snoring and a feeling of something dangling in the back of my throat, sometimes I’d sort of choke on my saliva like going down wrong hole, so mainly cos of the snoring which seems to have come on all of a sudden I took a trip to my GP who referred me to ENT at my local hospital where they examined the back of my throat with the camera up the nose and found a lump in my Larynx and also one of my vocal cords wasn’t working and it was that which was causing the snoring                                                                             
since then I’ve had a CT and MRI plus biopsy on the lump found in my larynx, tomorrow I have a ultrasound and aspiration biopsy on my lymph nodes in neck, and Tuesday I have another appointment at ENT and hoping for results of biopsy on the lump they found                                                                            
so as you can imagine I’m going through thoughts of pending doom and I think I’m going to die I know you shouldn’t consult Dr Google and have got a severe rollicking from the Mrs etc , thing is when you read up about this sort of thing most say that it’s smoking and heavy alcohol use that puts you at a higher risk and I do neither, also the permanent sore throat hoarseness and cough etc I’ve had none of that only the snoring and choking sometimes                            

ive got a thousand and one things going through my head at the moment and I’m absolutely petrified, thinking has it spread have I had it for ages and not even known hence no symptoms, I’d appreciate any responses and I will keep you updated of all the test results  

• So I’ve been rebooked for next Tuesday now, had biopsy via ultrasound today all went ok with that, the hospital called me and said the results for the throat biopsy aren’t in so not worth going tomorrow so next Tuesday both will be in, the waiting is bloody hard though but at least things are moving forward 

• Hi yes we all get experts at the waiting game. Just head down and try to keep busy. 
    That’s the right attitude things moving forward. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi everyone hope you are all keeping well, just an update on my diagnosis so yesterday we got the news we were dreading but expecting, the cancer in my throat had been diagnosed as squamous cell it’s on the hypo pharyngeal area which is in the lower throat, it has spread locally into one vocal cord which isn’t functioning, also a couple of lymph nodes are affected, but they’ve told me it hasn’t spread anywhere else so that’s sort of comforting if anything.

things are now happening very fast with a dental check this afternoon and appointment at radiotherapy department next Monday, I’m feeling really nervous about the whole thing and it still sounds surreal, the one thing I can’t stop thinking about is going through all this and it coming back, they said it has a 30-40 percent of returning but a 70 percent cure rate, I’m to have 3 rounds of chemo and 7 weeks of radiotherapy they reckon it’ll start a week before Xmas, I’m up for the battle but just can’t stop thinking of it reoccurring it’s bloody scary, I would of felt much better if they could cut the bstard out and start treatment, I did have the surgery option but that would of meant removing my voice box which I thought was a bit radical so opted for radiochemo, I’ve also read most of your story’s and blogs and feel very inspired 

thanks again for your support and encouragement 

Kenny aka Luggs

• Hi Kenny. So sorry it’s not the news you wanted but there is a plan in place and it’s best foot forward now. 
    The treatment won’t be a walk in the park but pain and nutrition are manageable. Stick with us and we will help as much as we can. 
    It might be worth trying to pack some weight on before you start. 
    If it’s any consolation I have a friend who I met here who has been through the same thing as you. She is over a year out and since treatment ended she has got married and the new couple have recently moved house to look forward to a great Christmas with the family. 
    So hold on to that. 
    Best wishes 

PS. Do you know what chemo you are having? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • the one thing I can’t stop thinking about is going through all this and it coming back, they said it has a 30-40 percent of returning but a 70 percent cure rate,

Fear of recurrence is one thing we all have to cope with. It’s only natural but this fear diminishes. 
    The attitude I took was that whether I survived a year ten or twenty I didn’t want to be reflecting at the end at what a miserable time I had. It would be a horrid waste. 
    None of it is under our control. 
    Trust your team. This is all new to you but they do this every day and they are good at it. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani, not sure of what chemo yet but will post when I know x

• I know what you mean about the weight think I’m about a stone up to what I should be but I have lost a wee bit lately cos of the anxiety etc sort of lost my appetite, I’ve also requested that I’d like a stomach peg which they’ve said they will do

• Hi Kenny I'm about 12 weeks post treatment.  The people on this group are amazing in terms of support and knowledge to help you on this journey.  I refer to this group daily.   Please, please take care. xxx

• Hi Luggs Now youve got a diagnosis it’s head down and get in with it. It’s pretty hard the treatment but if I can do it anyine can. I know the same person that Dani is  referring tonshe happily living her life now she had the same cancer as you. Please don’t dwell on reoccurrence s who knows how long any if us have git in general life s so enjoy each  day .Before you know it you’ll be out of treatment and getting on with living.

Any questions please ask.

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help