hypopharyngeal cancer

• 2 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hello. My father had this type of cancer. The first time he had some swelling in his neck, in January this year. Until then, he had no symptoms. In february he went to the doctor. Unfortunately, due to delays in scan appointments, biopsy surgery appointments, oncologist appointments, biopsy analysis (3 weeks), he was scheduled for the first cchemotherapy session only in early June. In May he received the result: hypopharyngeal cancer with limph node and bone metastatis, stage 4b. He withstood only 2 sessions of chemotherapy. Unfortunately , he died immediately after the second session. Question that grind us now: why did this type of cancer occur? He quit smoking 14 years ago, a chronic drinker for 45 years. Last year he drank 80l of wine in 2 weeks. Is this cancer from drinking? Was to late for treatment? Could something be done if it started 2-3 months earlier? Thanks for any answers...

• Hi Johnel.  Welcome and sorry for your loss of your father.  The reality is nobody on here has the scientific or clinical background to answer your questions.  Many of us have similar cancers to the one your father had with probably similar root causes, but in different locations in the head and neck.  We can all look back and wonder how we may have been so unlucky to get it.  And it probably has as much to do with luck as anything!  Many other people will have similar lifestyles and suffer from nothing like we do. 

Maybe one place to start is to ask to see your father's consultant to try and better understand what went on. 

Personally I don't think from what you've said that 2 or 3 months would have made a difference.  I waited (by choice) quite a few weeks before starting treatment and many others on here have had even longer waits.  These waits were of no detriment to our cancers.

I do hope you find answers that help you understand.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hy Johnel so sorry about your father. The cause of this cancer is multifactorial but drinking and smoking play major roles as well as work exposure to various chemicals, genetic makeup and there may be a role for Human Papilloma Virus. You father's oncologist is the one to ask.

Many cancers metastasise (spread far away from the original site) early on in their natural history while the primary tumour is still small and unnoticeable which might be what happened to your poor Dad. I agree with Peter....it's unlikely that the time lag from symptoms to diagnosis had much bearing on what happened.

Once again, so sorry for your loss

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge