Recently diagnosed with T1N2 BOT hpv cancer. I just want to say hi on this group.

• 109 replies
  • 143 subscribers

I just thought I would join this group to say hi and find some support by  reading other people’s stories.  I am quite scared at the moment.  I go to the Royal Marsden on Monday to get my mask made etc.  

• Hi lady66H

i have done it!    Everyone was very kind snd helped me.  I feel quite proud!  Lizzie

• Hi Lizzie. I did yoga breathing through treatment. Took my own music c d s in. Plus before hand I practised visualising bike rides or favourite walks in my head. Time them to take 15 mins I was never on table longer than 10-12 minutes. I laid on bed at home to time myself.  It may help you. 
    well done on m r I tge planning  ones don’t take too long. 
    hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Well done. I reckon anybody who can lie in an MRI scanner for half to one hour can do the mask. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Lizzie,

Glad it all went well and well done. The linac machines for my RT are not enclosed, unlike MRI. Hopefully same for you so should feel better. 

Much like the others have said steady, meditative breathing really helped me. They sometimes had music on in the background too. If it is anything like my experience they let me lie down and settle first, then put the mask on last thing before they checked I was correctly lined up. Taking the mask off was also the first thing they did after treatment, should be the same for you. 

Ronnie x 

• Hi Lizzie,

Well done for getting through it. Just take one session at a time and you will get though.  Let me know how you get on.

Lady66H

Lady66H
  • Hi there everyone.  I am home now and at my usual dentist to get the fluoride varnish and get teeth quickly cleaned.  I just have the kidney function test on Monday then I start treatment on the 16. Thankyou to everybody who has messaged me.  I will probably have more questions to ask as time goes on.  Lizzie

• Good luck Lizzie. I forgot to say to ask if they would cut out eyeholes. It lets you time your treatment better because you get to know how far along you are. I just watched the Collimator screens change shape as it went round and it was all done in a trice. Jump on the table clip down, treat clip out was always around ten minutes. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Beesuit

they wouldn’t cut eye holes out for me. They were very strict about it. I feel ok about the mask now, having done the mri with it.  Just a bit concerned for the future if I should feel very sick/ill etc.   

• Hi Lizzie don’t overthink any of the processes. You’ll get through it one day at a time like we all do. Make sure you tell your team how  you are feeling keep on top of painkillers, hydration snd nutrition by any means you can but more of that later. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Lizzie,

They wouldn't cut them for me either. I found it best to close my eyes as they put the mask on, with an image of laying on a nice beach in my mind! 

You'll find what works for you. As Hazel said, keep talking with your team and they will look after you. 

Take care, Ronnie x