Diagnosed today

• 71 replies
  • 134 subscribers

Hello

Today I was told I had cancer in my lymph node, and this is head  and neck cancer. I am terrified. I am waiting for a date for a MRI and PET scan, so don’t know what type of cancer I have. 

• Hi Debbie. Welcome but sorry you have to find us. It is frightening but you are in the system now and your medics will get to the bottom of it. I am a two plus year survivor of base of tongue cancer and living a good, busy and active life on my smallholding in Wales with my husband. I didn’t have any lymph node involvement but classically a cancerous lymph node is the first presentation of oropharyngeal HPV positive cancer which is eminently susceptible to treatment and cure. 
    If you feel up to it post when you know more and there are plenty of people here who have survived and thrived. 
    My best bit of advice at the present time is to stay well off Google. It’s full of inaccurate and alarming information. 
    The people  to ask are your clinical team and here. 
    Waiting is hell but there is nothing you can do about it so try to keep yourself busy

Best wishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you so much for replying. I have been googling all afternoon, and frightened myself, to the point I was going to refuse treatment, because surgery etc sounded horrendous. I will up date when I know for sure. Once again thank you 

• Hi, I was diagnosed last Friday with oral cancer and have had my scans this week. The waiting for results hasn’t been great but I’m keeping myself busy with different activities daily so I don’t dwell on it. The best advice I got here was to stay away from Google and that has helped. 

Best wishes

• Thank you for replying. I am waiting to get an appointment for my scans, I am going to stop googling as advised, it is making things worse, none of the information helps. Thank you 

• Hi Debbie welcome to the club none of us ever want to join. I will echo everything that Dani has said 

keep off google as my oncologist said to me if he went on there put symptoms in he woukd diagnose himself dead. 
    stick on here or your team. 
    I had several affected lymph nodes and cancer in my tonsil. 
    This august I will be 3 years post radiotherapy and chemo. You will probably go down that road it’s nothing to be scared about I was 61 when diagnosed yesterday j walked 17 km in the sun and regularly cycle 30 km plus. Don’t lie treatment is hard but again head and neck cancers respond well to treatment. 
    your head wI’ll  be a shed but if I can do it you can do it. 
    I gave a blog details below when you feel up to it give it a read it hopefully will help you. 
    many questions please ask 

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thank you, the replies I have had gave really lifted my spirits. I will feel better when I know what I’m dealing with. I will keep busy I’m doing a triathlon on Saturday, so will keep swimming, running snd cycling for as long as possible. At 60 I try to keep fit. I am grateful for all your replies 

• Hi Debbie,

I was in the same situation as you in february this year. As I sit here today I have just finished treatment for a very treatable cancer. Bits of it I would rather not repeat but I have got through relatively unscathed!!

As the others have said, you are at the absolute worst bit now. Once you have completed the scans, sit down in front of clinicians and have a treatment plan you will feel much better I promise.

It is great that you have found this group, the support on here is invaluable, so much better when it comes from people who have been there.

Julie xxx

• Should have said, lumps in neck were my only symptom xx

• I can’t begin to say how grateful I am to have found this group. Such positivity has really helped me . Listening to real people rather than google is just brilliant. Thank you xx

• Yes I too only had lump in collarbone I had just cycled 1100 lm in Spain was fittest I had ever been ! But hey look at me now I’m living my life  Thus time is the worst just keep off google anyone can post in there at least in her we are real and have been there for the t shirt  enjoy your triathlon snd good luck  

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help