Need inspiration

• 6 replies
  • 126 subscribers

Hi I am new to the group and hoping you can give me some inspiration. My husband is 18 months post diagnosis having now  had total teeth removal, tonsillectomy and partial glossectomy, and neck dissection. He then had chemo radiotherapy. Having survived all that and starting to feel more normal he has started  dental reconstruction. We were excited about the prospect of widening food choices and the possibility of going out to eat, but no such luck. He’s just been told he has fibrosis, early long term side effects of radiotherapy which is making swallowing hard and choking. 
He’s just had a fluoroscopy and speech therapy assessment and been recommended to go back on soft food diet, with more foods on the unsafe list due to risk of aspiration. He has exercises to do and surgery might be an option to improve swallowing or this could just get worse.

we were so relieved to know cancer wasn’t back but the reality of possible long term soft food diet and high risk of choking or pneumonia isn’t great. I’m struggling to make family meals fit his on going needs that are interesting and nutritious. 

is this a common thing and has anyone got top tips and inspiration??? 

thank you

• Hi devongirl and welcome to our community. So sorry to find you in this fix. 

Fibrosis to the extent you describe isn't that common. A few people on here have oesophageal dilations on a regular basis to cope with narrowing. If the muscles are involved it's more of a problem.

If you put Dilatation into the search function at the top of this page you can look through some posts on this very subject.

Have a look at Witshire Farms range of soft food. You might not want to order them but it might give you an idea of what to make

WILTSHIRE FARM Soft Meals

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi I had a lot of issues swallowing all through treatment and I was left with significant fibrosis which initially did badly effect my swallowing..I would end up choking on anything from chicken to pasta. It took me several months to adapt where I eventually started to eat food cut up onto smaller pieces. I also avoid bread and rice as they seem to trigger it. I tend to slow my eating down and take twice as long as everyone else..I also drink a glass of milk with big meal's as it seems to wash bigger food down. It took a fair bit of adapting but I can now go out for meals without worrying about the choking. 

Hope this helps

Chas

• Thanks Chas, as he has had no teeth, even after recovery from treatment his eating is very slow and  food is cut up tiny. He drinks a lot of water whilst eating to flush food and forced swallowing. But things have gotten harder and whilst I agree bread and rice have always been hard to swallow there seems little that is easy these days. So his eating is becoming less and he is relying more on fresubin supplements. I’m glad you have adapted your eating and can now enjoy the social aspect of food. Hope he gets there too. 

• Thanks Dani I will take a look. 

• Hi Devongirl

I empathise with you and your husband as I also have long term effects after my operation and radiotherapy in 2019 and am on a long term diet of very soft food mainly pureed. It can be a bit demoralizing and trying to get variety is still rather a struggle although I have had lots of good suggestions from this forum. I was interested in the Wiltshire range that Dani gave info on. I looked through it and got some really good ideas.

Yes going out is a challenge as there is usually nothing on the menu that I can manage. However I decided that I would not miss out on outings just because of that or I would miss out on so many celebrations and family get togethers. I take my own food with me or fill up before I go and always take a Fortisip with me as that tides me over.

It is a whole new lifestyle and it takes time to get used to and even then there are days when I wake up and initially forget the changes and think I will make myself some bacon and eggs and then remember that there is no way that is an option.

It is definitely a day by day process and as time goes on it does become easier to come to terms with.

As an aside I see that you live in Devon. I live in Australia but my grandfather was born in Colyton in Devon and on a visit to the U.K. a few years ago we hired a car and had a great time looking around the area. I really loved Lyme Regis.

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi Devon girl I know how he feels as unfortunately part of my treatment was to have my teeth removed too...it was very unpleasant and to be honest knocked my confidence too . although I have adapted my eating the choking still occurs sporadically... It took me around 18 months before I bad some normality but it's worth persevering

Chas