First timer - Sayng Hi to other H & N cancer newbies!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 22 replies
  • 129 subscribers

My name is Biss; I've just joined this group and am saying Hello. I'm a 62yr old male recently diagnosed with T1N1 p16 squamous carcinoma (tongue / throat cancer). I start curative chemo-radiation treatment in Leicester, on Mon 08MAR and have been very impressed since day 01, by every NHS 'contact' person and process. The Macmillan site / info and support is superb and I want to be part of any group community where help / advice / support can be shared.   Especially if anyone is / was in a similar situation to myself.. My treatment journey is about to begin - I' m prepared for a 'rough' coulee of months, but feel I am in good hands!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LindaWT

Thanks for your message Linda.

• Hi Bliss Yes I got a nose  tube fitted while going through treatment which I would not recommend as they couldnt get the tube down  because my throat was so  swollen. You won't have this issues as you are getting a Peg tube fitted and is really great as saves all the pressure of eating which I am going through now. Dont worry you are doing the right thing for a pain free time, I have had 30 radiation and 4 chemo , My Son got me audible books and I listened to pg wodehouse which passed the time All The Best Regards Min  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to PFJTHS

Cheers Peter, I appreciate that

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Minmax

Good to know Min!  Yes, I’ll keep myself occupied - I’m sure. Thanks

• Hi Biss, I was diagnosed with SCC in neck lymph node HPV 16 Positive with Unknown Primary back in June 2020. I was fitted with a PEG a week prior to my treatment (30 radiotherapy and 2 Cisplatin). The PEG caused me no issues but make sure you clean around it every day as well as start turning it after two weeks. I was shown how to turn it via a video call due to Covid. You will be contacted by the agency who supplies all the equipment you need (plastic syringes, feed, tubes, a stand and an electric feed pump). Fortunately I didn’t need the stand or the feed pump and tubes but be prepared when it arrives it’s a lot of boxes and a bit overwhelming. Mine all stayed stacked in the utility room until it was collected when my PEG was finally removed. I did worry initially about turning over in bed and lying on the PEG but found that I never did, but I could lie comfortably on my side. I always wore a snug fitting vest in bed as I felt more secure that way. Once you’ve got your clothes on no one will have any idea you’ve got a PEG. 

I did use the PEG for some Ensure 2 Cals as I needed to boost my calorie intake as I did finding eating difficult at times. I also used it if swallowing became a little bit tender to take painkillers as I was prescribed effervescent Paracetamol and Co-Codamol although this was not often. I finally had my PEG removed at the beginning of December although I had stopped using it totally in the first week of October, but until I had my 12 week post treatment PET scan the consultants decided it was best to keep it in. Removal was a matter of a couple of minutes and the hole healed up within a few days.

Hope this helps, any questions please ask

Carol

x

• Hi Biss. No PEG but a nasogastric tube when I couldn’t swallow. At the end of week three for 8 weeks or so. I didn’t swallow anything but water for six weeks so it really was a life saver letting me have food and medication l. Took it out when it had done its job. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, Biss, I had a RIG which is very similar to a PEG, don't worry about having it fitted, it is straight forward enough, and you will quickly get used to it. I was 100% reliant on mine from about week 3, for approx 10 weeks, so they are very good to have. It is 1 thing less to worry about if you have trouble eating. You might not need to use it, but it's there just in case you do.

Regards Ray.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Rhondda

Thanks Carol, so useful to hear this. Appreciate you taking the time to reply and for the info.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Beesuit

Cheers Dani

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to old biker

Okay Ray, thanks for that.