First timer - Sayng Hi to other H & N cancer newbies!

• 22 replies
  • 130 subscribers

My name is Biss; I've just joined this group and am saying Hello. I'm a 62yr old male recently diagnosed with T1N1 p16 squamous carcinoma (tongue / throat cancer). I start curative chemo-radiation treatment in Leicester, on Mon 08MAR and have been very impressed since day 01, by every NHS 'contact' person and process. The Macmillan site / info and support is superb and I want to be part of any group community where help / advice / support can be shared.   Especially if anyone is / was in a similar situation to myself.. My treatment journey is about to begin - I' m prepared for a 'rough' coulee of months, but feel I am in good hands!

• Hi Biss This is Hazel I am now 30 month post radiotherapy for tonsil cancer with several affected lymph nodes I had 35 radiotherapy sessions and 2 of a planned 3 chemo. I was T2N2Nm p 16 SCC .Welcome to the club that none of us want to join , you will find we are a small family club. We support and help each other as much as we can Glad youve  got a good team it really does help ,Any questions just shout out one of us will always get back to you. 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Tks Hazel, kind of you to respond so quickly. I’m glad to be part of the group. Glad also to hear you’re 30 months on - and hopefully going strong. Yes, I hope to contribute more as I progress with treatment. But good to make contact with you. 

• Hi Bliss, welcome to our community. You seem to have your head around what is to come. The radiologist and  oncologists are good at their jobs and putting your trust in them is a real step forward. If you have good support in family and clinical support teams your time will be easier.

I am 2 years out of RT for base of tongue SCC and living well. There are quite a few folk on here just going through treatment or just finished to compare notes with so keep the questions coming. 
    There are masses of tips here to make life more bearable 

Best wishes 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Biss welcome to our group, which none of us wanted to join. However we are all here to help each other, so if you have any worries, just ask and someone will always answer if they can. Good luck with your treatment.

Regards Ray.

• Hi Biss and welcome to the forum

I was diagnosed with base of tongue cancer in May 2018.  My treatment pathway was slightly different to the "gold standard" chemoradiation in that I had a neck dissection and robotic surgery followed a few weeks later by radiotherapy.

Glad you've found us as I'm sure you'll benefit from others who have had a similar diagnoses and treatment. 

All the best.

Linda x

• Hi Biss, and welcome.  I am sure you will find lots of support on here for that tough journey you are about start.  Good luck and keep us all up to date with how it goes.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Bliss Welcome to the club we all thought we would never join. I have just finished my treating a few weeks back and the people here have been superb and really helpful . All the Best Regards Min

• Thanks Dani, I appreciate your comments. My initial concern is the PEG tube! I’ll be ’fitted’ tomorrow but wanted to ask: did you have the same? Did you need to use is during and after treatment? Cheers

• Thanks Ray, I appreciate your comments. Oddly, I feel initially anxious about the PEG tube. I get ‘fitted’ tomorrow! Did you have one ? Was it used during and after treatment? Cheers

• Thanks Min, I appreciate your comments. Did you have a PEG tube? Did you use it during my and after treatment? I’m a bit anxious about this, and have my tube ‘fitting’ tomorrow! Cheers