Not "new" but back so a reintroduction.

• 24 replies
  • 130 subscribers

For any members that have never come across me. Been on here for many years since my first diagnosis/treatment in 2013/14 from which I had five year all clear in 2019, was hugely honoured to be made a "community champion" in that time. Then last summer I unfortunately got another tumour on my larynx, it was a different cancer rather than a recurrance so please nobody think this is likely to happen to you or your loved one. Because I'd had radiotherapy in 2014 it wasn't an option so surgery, a "salvage laryngectomy" was the only realistic choice so I had that done last September. Been very hard, lost my voice, unable to eat/drink, infection put me back in hospital for a week and also lost my sense of smell for good (because I now breathe through my neck so no air flow through nose or mouth) but recently some positives. Two weeks ago I was cleared to eat/drink again and today I had my RIG taken out, I still can't speak but I'm comfortable with that now. So I plan now to take an active role in the site again, I received so much love and support when I desperately needed it in 2014 and again last year so hope to start giving a bit back again.

• Mike it is terrific to see you back here and of course making such excellent progress. You have been missed and while there is nothing really desperate to catch up on there are lots of new faces. Lots of folk all helping each other which is  what makes the community such a wonderful refuge. 
    You were the first person I ever talked to here and you lightened my blackest days. 
    Welcome back xxx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, Mike, it really is good to see you are back, I have been wondering how you have been. It's good that you are now able to eat and drink again, and that your RIG has been removed. I'm pleased you are going to be active on the site again, I have missed you, and I'm sure many others have too. Keep up the good work with your recovery.

Regards Ray.

• Thanks Ray, hope you are well my friend.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Yes I'm fine thanks Mike.

• Hi Mike welcome back. You and @Chris2012 were my saviours in 2018. We’ve all bern keeping it ticking over for you so glad you are back champ. 
    Your wise words will continue to help others. Plus we’re here for you as well

Good to hear you’ve started to eat and drink as well

Onwards n upwards . 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thanks Hazel, lovely to talk to you again xx

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

• Evening Mike,

Great to see you back  have been checking in and wondering how you were doing so cheered me up when I saw your handle,avatar,tag or whatever its called. 

Welcome back ! Wink

Martin

Your life is your life
    don't let it be clubbed into dank submission
    be on the watch
    there are ways out
    there is light somewhere
    it may not be much light,but it beats the darkness

• Hi Mike

So good to hear from you. I often wondered how you were progressing.

When I first joined the forum you along with Dani, Hazel and Chris gave me so much good advice that made a real difference to me.

It’s great that you are able to eat and drink again as it brings a bit of normality back. It’s been a tough road for you.

I wish you well with your ongoing journey and am looking forward to hearing more from you.

Lyn

xx

Sophie66

• Hi Mike

Great to have you back and glad you are making a good, but tough, recovery.  I remember your advice on some of the posts when I first joined so I know your contributions going forward will be invaluable.

Peter
  • Thanks Martin, Lyn and Peter. Couple of photos of my adventures, the first one shortly post-op that I can laugh at now. Desperate Dan anyone? The other one is me back to "normal"

Community Champion Badge