problem eating.. 30ml fortisip 4 x a day enough ?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 31 replies
  • 72 subscribers

first off sorry for another post.. 

ive not eaten more than a peice of toast or a crumpet a day for weeks. ive been prescribed 30ml 4x a day which tbh im not managing due to ut being rank. anyway tinight i had my first thing to ear and sinething was stuck on my tounge at the back because for some reasin i cant swallow properly so i ended up throwing up.    then going back to bed.   im exhausted literally. i got some fortjuice again 39ml 4 x a day... 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Steph. I found the Fortisip quite disgusting at first but am managing them better now. There are lots of different flavours- I've finally stuck with Mocha as being the most palatable, so perhaps you could ask for a different flavour and see if that helps. When I was still having swallowing problems I also found it helped them go down if I added ice cubes and a bit of milk. My dietician advised that I add some Maxijoule powder to them to provide more calories so you could ask about that too. With 4 Fortisip and the added Maxijoule that gives about 1400 calories so plus some soup and yogurts I'm managing to get about 1700 + calories a day. Smoothies are good too. I've found it very helpful reading other people's experiences here - we're not on an easy road but it seems from a lot of what others on the same journey have said that it does get better over time, even if we'll never get our teeth into a bacon butty again (how I long for one of those!). Little steps all the time though so try not to get too disheartened and hang on in there. Rosame
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

thank u ... i think on a good day im up to 300 cal .... so it might explain why im feeling so rough .. 

• FormerMember

Hello Steph.   I'm sorry that you are struggling to get eat / drink the Fortisips very well, but you really need to get the nutrition down in order to help your body recover from the treatment .... Rosame has offered some good advice, too.

I can't stress enough the importance of trying to keep your weight / nutrition up - towards the end of my radiotherapy I lost way too much and really suffered for it. I know that it can be ever so hard but you have to keep persisting .... if the Fortisips are unpalatable then ask to try something different, perhaps something from the Ensure drinks range ? Maybe a word with your dietitian would help as she can recommend other products for you to try.

Without something substantial in your stomach then you will most like as not feel sick and nauseous, so please do talk to someone about it as the medical team is there to help - take care.

Joycee x

• FormerMember
    Hello again. Like Joycee I'm very concerned to hear you're only getting 300 calories a day, it's no wonder you're feeling so exhausted. It's really important that you get more to help you recover - even when well 300 isn't enough to keep body and soul together and your body's just taken a major battering so you really need that nutrittion. Take Joycee's advice and talk to the dietician asap. Rosame x
  • FormerMember

Hello again Steph.   Just a thought, if I am remembering rightly so far you have only had a tongue biopsy and are awaiting surgery ? If so, it really is important to have more than 300 calories per day - this is far below the recommended daily allowance.

As Rosame said, your body does take a battering and has to have the nutriton to heal .... so talk to your medical team as soon as possible. After my RT I had to have a nasogastric tube put back for feeding because my weight went under seven stones and I was dehydrated - so please try your best, sweetheart !

Joycee x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Steph,

Without wanting to sound like a nagging mother you really need to get more down you.  I, like all the others on here know how hard it can be when your mouth is sore to get anything down you but you must!  I wasn't keen on the Fortisip or Fortijuice either as to begin with they aren't the best.  I went through all of the flavours until I found one that was the easiest to consume (Strawberry).

Speak with your medical team and let them know you are struggling, your body needs to be as strong as possible to prepare for any possible treatment that might be suggested.

During the peak of my radiotherapy I was having 4-5 fortisip a day through my PEG feeding tube and still losing weight, I think this highlights that you need to speak with your GP or whoever you are currently liaising with.

We're all behind you whatever the results of your biopsy may be!

Keep trying with the fortisip/fortijuice, your body will thank you.

Best wishes

Gen x

• Hi Steph, if i was you forget about trying to eat whole food and take liquid supplements for the time being so you are able to build your strength back up. You will feel better and not as exhausted you seem to be doing more harm than good. If you do not get on with the juice you are taking ask to try a different company ,as there are a few to choose from ,for example Ensure that come in about 7 different flavours ,so have a word with your dietician.Best of luck.Chris

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Hi roseanne a i led to beleive yu had neck surgery and since then have had trouble swallowing, i had a neck disectomy 5 weeks ago and cant seem to swallow properly, was wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing x

• Hi Steph

Have the team not suggested  a naso-gastric or PEG feeding tube?  My husband stopped eating (because he couldn't swallow in week 3 of RT.  I know you haven't started treatment yet but he takes water, enteral feeds and Fortisips plus protein shakes straight down the tube. He's taking at least 1500 calories per day and still losing a little weight due to RT, so I urge you to talk to the team. Our dietitian has been brilliant. If they want you to continue eating by mouth, try and get Metoclopramide Liquid prescribed (anti sickness) or a PPI like omeprazole (to stop reflux and generally calm your stomach).

All the best

Pip

My husband was diagnosed with HPV+ SCC BoT aged 57 in December 2019. He received 30 fractions of radiotherapy and 2 doses of Cisplatin in Jan/Feb 2020. 
  • Hi Pip. 
    Steph posted in 2013. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge