Neck breather - any alternative ways of saying it

• 3 replies
  • 71 subscribers

So whilst we’re waiting for my mum to have a laryngectomy she mentioned she detests the term “neck breather”, has anyone got any ideas what to call it? She’s ok with it being used as a phrase for say emergency bracelets etc but in general conversation she really doesn’t want to be called a neck breather, she’s finding the term offensive and degrading, if anyone has found the same and has any alternative idead I can pass them on to her! 
thanks 

• An interesting question, I've personally never had any problem with "neck breather" but can quite understand why someone would.

I suppose that, after having a laryngectomy, you technically become a laryngectomee, so that might be a possibility...though it still sounds very medical.

Most people wouldn't have the first idea as to what it is without explanation anyway, so she could call it whatever she wants really....couple of my grandkids call it my "button" (due to the appearance of the HME, which they take great joy in me removing and showing them the "hole" beneath).

I'd say just pick something she's comfortably with, nobody's going to tell her she's wrong!

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi  

I know lots of folk who have had the op refer to themselves as Larrys. Is that any help. Bit daft if your a girl though.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening JKE, i just class myself as normal nowadays mainly because i have been a laryngectomee for over 10 years now, most people do use the word Lary or fellow Larys , as Mike said an interesting question. Your mum will most probably find that people will not even ask.

Chris  

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge