HPV Negative SSC Tongue/Lymph nodes

• 10 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hey - Im new here.

Im supporting my Mum who was originally diagnosed 6 weeks ago with HPV positive oropharyngeal cancer that was also in lymph nodes and was placed on the PATHOS trial however today we were told that upon reviewing her tissue samples she has SSC HPV negative cancer.  So the surgery element has been removed and replaced with the 6 week course of RT and Chemo treatment.

My question is - up until this point they havent looked anywhere else to see if the cancer has gone anywhere else. No chest xray or PET scan - we have an appt with an Oncologist next week - is this likely to be discussed then? 

She is having to have have 2 teeth out but its only through reading this forum the I have realised she will need a PEG? Is that just what happens or is it a 'see how you get on' kind of deal?

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond x

• Hi  

My question is - up until this point they havent looked anywhere else to see if the cancer has gone anywhere else. No chest xray or PET scan - we have an appt with an Oncologist next week - is this likely to be discussed then? 

Yes. More than likely. Make sure they explain what they plan and why

its only through reading this forum the I have realised she will need a PEG? Is that just what happens or is it a 'see how you get on' kind of deal?

Radiotherapy damages the whole mouth and throat. The effects are magnified if you add chemo. It becomes at first difficult then impossible to swallow so all nutrition and importantly pain relief goes through tube. 
    Your mum may manage without, some do but very few. 
    My trust didn’t routinely place PEGs. I had a nasogastric tube when I needed it in week 4. I had it in place for 8 weeks. 
    It saved my life. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • see how you get on' kind of deal?

They take a couple of weeks to settle so best sorted before treatment starts. Which hospital is your mum being treated at? 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you  !

She is being treated in Poole Hospital, Dorset.

• Give her a big Community hug from all of us. 
    I hope you can stay with us. There’s always somebody to talk to 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Am I wrong but I think in England and Scotland feeding tubes are automatically put in. I'm in Northern Ireland and that doesn't happen unless your weight drops. 

• Scotland....PEG was part of the Chemo radiotherapy package, overnight stay in hospital for observation....5 days of moderate abdominal muscle pain well managed by pain meds....life saver for me.

Peter 

• Am I wrong but I think in England and Scotland feeding tubes are automatically put in. I'm in Northern Ireland and that doesn't happen unless your weight drops.

Hazel was treated in Leeds and the protocol there was reactive NG. Similar where I was treated in Swansea...though I realise that is in neither England nor Scotland nor Northern Ireland Wink

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi - I had a PEG which was inserted at Salisbury and treated in Southampton.  I do know that if I had needed a RIG that would have been done in Poole, but my treatment would have still been in Southampton.  Personally I would again opt for a PEG/RIG rather than an NG.  Part of that is because I don't fancy the NG down my throat and part is because I like to be prepared and an NG is a reactive solution.

Has your Mum had a CT scan?  Often those include the chest area during the investigations and will show if there has been some spread.  Previously I had PET scans before treatment, but this time I only had one after.  You have a PET scanner at Poole so that will make travel easier.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Welcome to our small commu community group. My feeding tube was a n g tube up through my nose into tummy week 3 of treatment I took it out 6 weeks later. Some just fit them automatically some do them like mine reactively if it is a feeding tube that’s going in the tummy try and push for it to go in a good few weeks before Radio therapy chemo starts

any questions just pop on here as I want someone I wish somebody around to help

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help