‘Nodule on my thyroid’

• 13 replies
  • 75 subscribers

So 8 weeks post Chemoradiation treatment, I go for a follow up with my Oncologist last Friday.  At which he shares with me that during the planning of my treatment whilst viewing my scans, they noticed a ‘nodule’ on my thyroid, what the actual!!!  And he’d like me to go for a scan to check it out!?

Tuesday they ring me to ask could I attend today at 2pm for an Ultra sound scan.

No sooner has he started the scan, that he confirms that yes, he can see a ‘nodule’ of about 9mm on my thyroid and could he take an immediate biopsy!!  Well, you don’t say no do you Grimacing   More worry for the next two weeks before results!?  Apparently if it is cancer!?  It must be unrelated to the one on my tonsil and that’s why the treatment didn’t blast this!?  Omg how can the brutal treatment do so much damage to us and yet not touch a 9mm nodule??  If it is cancer, it will be another course of radiation treatment……I thought we could only be subjected to a certain amount!?!  I just cannot go through that again

Sorry I’m rambling, it’s just so difficult to process Pensive

• f it is cancer, it will be another course of radiation treatment……I thought we could only be subjected to a certain amount!?!  I just cannot go through that again

Hold on. You don’t know till you know. 
    Were you actually told you would have radiotherapy if it was cancer anyway. 
    I have a friend whose thyroid module was malignant but a simple surgical excision sorted it. 
    But don’t second guess.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • PS. The most common type of radiotherapy for thyroid cancer is radioactive iodine. You drink it and it’s preferentially taken up by the cancer cells in the cancer. You don’t get external beam radiation like you do for tonsils. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Deborah

Don't be sorry for rambling...all in this group understand and sympathise with your situation 

Hopefully the results will be positive....such a cruel thing to happen ...last thing that you need

Take care

Peter

• Aww thanks Dani!!  You’re right, he did mention ‘iodine’ too!!  Phew that’s a relief, I could cope with either of those……..but as you say, don’t know yet?  So need to try not to worry

• Aww thanks Dani!!  You’re right, he did mention ‘iodine’ too!!

So…. That has a better success rate than RT for tonsils but…… it’s still a bugger! How unfair is that! 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Cake Lover, i dont know anything about this area of the head and neck as my cancers were in other areas of the head and neck, i understand what you mean when you say when you have radiotherapy yet a nodule manages to get away with it, it shows how accurate they are in just treating the original tumour on your tonsils which is good as it does not damage surrounding skin tissue too much. Fingers crossed for your results, stay positive, all the best.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi. As Dani says try not to get ahead if yourself. Our treatment is do targeted otherwise none of us would be able to cope with a total blast of the area. Both Dani and I know a lady who had our treatment then a year later got diagnosed with lymphoma.  She’s now 3 years and just come back from 2 weeks in Greece. 
    thyroid cancer isn’t treated with radiotherapy it’s either a small ok or radioactive iodine. 
    back on the waiting game same info as before keep busy watch trashy box sets. Eat trifle. 
    hugs. Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Right as always, thanks Hazel Thumbsup tone1Kissing heart

• Hi Deborah

Sorry to hear about the nodule on the thyroid and fingers crossed it turns out to be benign. If you do have to go with the iodine treatment just to let you know that my sister in law had thyroid cancer when she was in her early 30's and had the iodine treatment and her thyroid removed.  She is now 65 so it was a complete success although she does have to take thyroxine as a result, however that is not a problem.

Sending you my best wishes for a good result.

Lyn

Sophie66